*Fall 2014 registration is now open! Click here for more information!
*Please note the women’s basketball team’s open gym nights on Wednesdays — as highlighted in publications including the Battle Creek Enquirer — are done for the summer. There will be no open gym this afternoon.
Here are some links to recent items of note relevant to Kellogg Community College students, staff and community members.
- Kellogg Community College is offering students, staff and community members an opportunity to travel to Cuba with the College in February (Battle Creek Enquirer). This article also highlights the KCC Board of Trustees meeting to be held at the College’s Fehsenfeld Center in Hastings this evening; the College-wide closures for KCC’s General Session for employees, which was yesterday (and which was also covered by WTVB); and Harper Creek graduate Jordan Freeburn, a Kellogg Community Federal Credit Union scholarship recipient who plans to attend KCC.
- KCC’s dental hygiene students were given a “rose” by representatives of the Marian E. Burch Adult Day Care Center for volunteering at the organization’s annual carnival and picnic (Battle Creek Enquirer)
- Mortgage Loan Servicer and KCC graduate Elizabeth Travis will offer a special presentation on Fraud Protection at the Marshall District Library on Sept. 16 (Battle Creek Enquirer)
- Colon graduate Makayla Craun will pitch for KCC’s softball team next season (Sturgis Journal)
- Detroit Tigers prospect and KCC baseball alumnus Ryan Longstreth is currently pitching for the West Michigan Whitecaps (MLive)
- Other KCC baseball alumni are in the news, as well, with Ben Spieldenner hitting an infield single and Patrick Bobalts throwing out a steal attempt at second for the Battle Creek HBC/Behnke’s in the opening game of the 101st National Amateur Baseball Federation World Series last week (Battle Creek Enquirer)
- Artist Don Zimmerman is set to begin his second year of teaching the craft of creating stained glass art as part of KCC’s Lifelong Learning Program (Elkhart Truth)
- The late Michael Caswell, a former administrator at KCC, is mentioned in an article about Mike’s Place, a local youth center (Battle Creek Enquirer)
- Each edition of the Battle Creek Shopper News usually includes multiple articles related to KCC
- The Battle Creek Enquirer has a photo gallery up from last month featuring a group of pickleball players playing on the tennis courts at KCC
Charter school coverage links
KCC is among 11 charter school authorizers “at-risk” of being suspended because of performance and/or contract issues. The issue is being covered by several news outlets that mention KCC in their coverage, including:
- Battle Creek Enquirer
- Crain’s Detroit Business
- Sault Ste. Marie Evening News
- WOOD TV8
- WWMT Newschannel 3 link 1, WWMT Newschannel 3 link 2
- WZZM 13
The list of at-risk authorizers is available online at michigan.gov.
Send submissions for future “KCC Links” posts to Simon at email@example.com. For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest news releases online at http://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.