Hastings senior Andres Carmona gets ahead by dual-enrolling at KCC: “I’d definitely recommend it”

Dual-enrolled KCC student and Hastings senior Andres Carmona

Andres Carmona is a senior at Hastings High School. He’s also a dual-enrolled Kellogg Community College student, taking college classes while still in high school.

For Carmona, dual-enrolling at KCC has been a way to get ahead on his future plans to study at Lawrence Tech, where he plans to study architecture. He said his full 12 credits from KCC, including credits earned through Art Appreciation, Intro to Business and two history classes, will transfer to the university.

The biggest benefit, he says, is getting some courses out of the way now so he can “actually strive for my career” once he gets to Lawrence.

“Taking classes that are going to actually benefit me … it absolutely makes me happy,” Carmona says.

Carmona has been active as a student at Hastings, participating in soccer and track and serving as a member of the National Honor Society and Interact Club, among other activities.

In class, the instructors he’s had as a dual-enrolled student at KCC’s Fehsenfeld Center have helped him absorb more than he has in his traditional classes, and he says he’d recommend dual-enrolling to other high schoolers looking to learn more and get a jump on their own educations.

“I feel like I learn a lot more in a college course, to be honest,” Carmona says. “I grab the information better. … If you have the time and effort to take classes at KCC, I’d definitely recommend it.”

If you’re a high school student interested in dual-enrolling at KCC, now is the time to start making plans for the fall semester. Your first step is to talk to your high school counselor and ask them about dual-enrolling at KCC.

For more information about dual-enrollment at Kellogg Community College, visit www.kellogg.edu/high-school-dual-enrollment or contact our Admissions office at 269-965-4153 or adm@kellogg.edu.