Young athletes will have the chance to become better runners through training with a professional trainer during Kellogg Community College’s First Steps to a Better Run sports camp in June.
Trainer Rob Lillie will help new and experienced runners ages 13 to 18 become more skilled and knowledgeable runners from 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesdays, June 8, 15, 22 and 29. The camp will be held at the Miller Physical Education Building on KCC’s campus at 450 North Ave., Battle Creek, and will include an outdoor run each week following strengthening and stretching drills, weather permitting.
Each day of the camp will focus on a different aspects of running, including:
- The benefits of proper running form and how it can help prevent injury
- Muscle strengthening and movements to help each runner enjoy their runs more
- Mechanics and movement patterns the body can use to run more efficiently
- Breathing techniques to help aid oxygen consumption and usage while running
- Strength and stretching techniques for runners, using the body as the main equipment
- Goal setting and realization
- How to have fun while running
Participants will also have the opportunity to ask questions and will receive helpful hints on topics including injury prevention and how to improve their speed. Participants will also receive:
- A group-oriented schedule with variable speed-training and distance-running exercises specific to each runner; goals will be discussed and set on day one
- A video analysis of running form from the first and final days of the program
- Weekly strength homework
Registration for KCC’s First Steps to a Better Run sports camp is $125 and registration forms are available online at www.kellogg.edu/youth. Registration can be completed:
- By mail by completing a camp registration form and mailing the form with payment to Lifelong Learning, 450 North Ave., Battle Creek, MI. 49017
- By phone by calling KCC’s Lifelong Learning Department at 269-965-4134 and registering with a credit or debit card
- By fax by sending the completed form to 269-565-2129
- In person at the Lifelong Learning office in room 102 of the Ohm Information Technology Center on KCC’s North Avenue campus in Battle Creek
Camp fees include a camp T-shirt for each participant.
About Rob Lillie
Trainer Lillie, of Lillie Inspired, has trained hundreds of athletes, from novice beginners to record-setters in their fields. Lillie has been educated and trained in exercise science, balancing strength, endurance and functional movement to help his clients make their workouts more efficient and effective.
About Bruin Youth Programming
KCC’s First Steps to a Better Run sports camp is part of Kellogg Community College’s new Bruin Youth Programming, an initiative of the College’s Lifelong Learning Department that is focused on connecting area youth with experiences related to athletics, education and careers. Bruin Youth Programming expands the College’s traditional offerings of sports camps and Bruin Bots robotics initiatives held throughout the year on campuses in Battle Creek, serving kids from first grade through high school. For more information, including dates and descriptions of upcoming camps and other activities, visit www.kellogg.edu/youth.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at http://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.