Kellogg Community College recognized more than two dozen student artists this afternoon during a reception honoring outstanding work exhibited as part of the College’s Annual Student Art Exhibition.
The exhibit, featuring 147 works from 97 student artists, is on display now through May 1 at the Eleanor R. and Robert A. DeVries Gallery in KCC’s Davidson Visual and Performing Arts Center, on campus at 450 North Ave., Battle Creek.
Annual Student Art Exhibition award winners include the student artists listed below as selected by juror Aaron Warner, a KCC alumnus and award-winning comic artist, illustrator and studio owner who exhibited works from more than 30 years’ worth of syndicated newspaper strips and critically acclaimed comic book series at KCC last fall.
Awards listed below include Best of Show ($200), Best of Media ($200) and Honorable Mention awards ($50 each) distributed across categories at the juror’s discretion, in addition to other awards.
KIMIKO PETERSEN FINE ART AWARDS
$1,300 total awards, selected by juror
Best of Show
- Taylor Holcomb, of Allen, “Nuskin Poster”
3D Fine Art
- Honorable Mention Ceramics: Alanna Townsend, of Hastings, “Lady Africa”
- Honorable Mention Ceramics: Maya Williams, of Marshall, “Carved Bowl”
- Honorable Mention Sculpture & 3D Mixed Media: Samantha Davies, of Battle Creek, “Breath”
2D Fine Art
- Honorable Mention Drawing & Printmaking: Samantha Davies, of Battle Creek, “Dark Thoughts”
- Honorable Mention Drawing & Printmaking: Madeline Ramos, of Battle Creek, “Bear in Fog”
- Honorable Mention Painting: Nick Dietz, of Galesburg, “Distortions”
- Honorable Mention 2D Mixed Media: Jaziel Pugh, of Battle Creek, “Three Brothers”
- Best of Photography: Seth Vander Band, of Martin, “Canoes at Emerald Lake”
- Honorable Mention Black and White Photography: Renee Shaver, of Athens, “Light of Your Soul”
- Honorable Mention Digital Photography: Jataya Smith, of Battle Creek, “Fantasy World”
- Honorable Mention Digital Photography: Emily Doran, of Battle Creek, “Rêves de Papillon”
- Honorable Mention Alternative Photography: Constance Prince, of Union City, “Leaves”
- Honorable Mention Digital Composite: Maggie Wood, of Battle Creek, “Angra Do Heroismo”
- Honorable Mention Graphic Design: Cameron Kohn, of Battle Creek, “JW Property Solutions”
- Honorable Mention Graphic Design: Alyssa Fenton, of Battle Creek, “Cloud Mouth”
- Honorable Mention Graphic Design: Taylor Holcomb, of Allen, “Sound of Madness”
- Honorable Mention Digital Illustration: Adrienne Riddle, of Tekonsha, “Rainbow Eagle”
Time-Based Digital Media
- Best of Time-Based Digital Media: Shadrach Grentz, of Delton, “Home Opener Tiger Promo”
- Honorable Mention Animation: Alyssa Fenton, of Battle Creek, “Hello”
- Honorable Mention Video: Loren Hummell, of Charlotte, “Promo Video for Thirteen Acres”
KCC ARTS AND COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENTAL AWARDS
- Outstanding Achievement in Photography & Multimedia ($25): Graham Wittkopp, of Springfield
- Outstanding Achievement in Art ($25): Mara Allan, of Battle Creek
- Excellence in Art – Binda Award ($25): Amy Beebe, of Battle Creek
- Outstanding Graphic Design Graduate Award ($25): Cameron Kohn, of Battle Creek
MOSAIC ENTRY RECOGNITION AWARDS
- Cover Art ($25): Mohamed Awad, of Coldwater
- Interior Art ($25): Abby Licht, of Coldwater
- Instructor Recognition Award ($50): Britney Stone, of Union City
- Art League Award of Excellence ($50): Cheryl Lindhurst, of Plainwell, “Fear”
- Battle Creek Society of Artists Scholarship ($1,500): Aryn Holcomb, of Battle Creek
- Bryan R. Thomas Memorial Scholarship ($1,500): Constance Prince, of Union City
- Graphic Design Scholarship (equivalent to the cost of one Graphic Design class): Kyle Strong, of Vicksburg
For more information about KCC’s Annual Student Art Exhibition, contact KCC Photography and Multimedia Program Coordinator and Gallery Director Ryan Flathau at 269-565-7880 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Gallery/exhibit photo by Bailey Scott.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at http://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.