Free three-credit voucher recipient Madison Lindquist says award “meant a lot to me and my degree”

Madison Lindquist

When freshman Madison Lindquist heard she was the recipient of a voucher good for three free credit hours at Kellogg Community College in August, it came as a complete surprise. She didn’t even know the offer was available.

“I didn’t even know it existed,” Lindquist said, laughing. “They were just like, oh, you won! And I was like, wait, what?”

KCC launched the promotion as part of an incentive to encourage registration in July. In past years, the College has hosted an Express Enrollment events for new students where one lucky attendee received a three-credit tuition voucher. This year KCC made the opportunity accessible to all brand-new students: Any new student who registered for at least one Fall 2020 class by 11:59 p.m. Aug. 23 was eligible for the voucher.

Eligibility was automatically calculated, and selection was random.

For Lindquist, 18, a 2020 graduate of Hastings High School, the surprise was a welcome one. She started attending KCC because the Fehsenfeld Center campus in Hastings is close to home and because her mom had attended the College in the past.

“I really appreciate this award because I didn’t get that much for my financial aid,” Lindquist said. “So this meant a lot to me and my degree.”

The voucher will go toward prerequisite classes she’s completing as part of her plan to transfer to a four-year school, she said, where she hopes to study to become a coroner.

“The human body is just really fascinating,” Lindquist said. “The human body’s just cool.”

See video of Lindquist discussing the voucher in the video embedded below. To share your KCC story, fill out the Your KCC Story form on our website at www.kellogg.edu/yourkccstory.