Scholarship recipient Q&A: Paramedic student Brent Runyon

Brent Runyon

Kellogg Community College Foundation Board of Trustees Scholarship recipient Brent Runyon graduated from Tekonsha High School in 2020 and currently studies as part of KCC’s Paramedic Program, with hopes to graduate next year and begin working as a fully licensed paramedic.

Below, Ruynon answers some questions about his experiences as a student at KCC and specifically as a Board of Trustees Scholarship recipient.

What does being a Board of Trustees Scholar mean to you?

It gives me the opportunity to pursue my endeavors with financial support.

What is your favorite thing about the Board of Trustees Scholarship program?

I have gotten to meet so many amazing people and I have been able to so many amazing things. … To elaborate on the question, I have the amazing opportunity to meet people from totally different backgrounds and work with them to host events and to become very good friends with these people.

What is something you learned from your scholarship program leadership, enrichment or service activities?

A good leader can come from anywhere, they only need to rise to the occasion. … While being a part of the college club KAB I have seen so many talented people with the same work ethic and motivation as me. These people rise to every challenge and are not afraid to step up.

What is one thing you learned about yourself through your development activities as a Board of Trustees Scholar?

Complete strangers can become some of the greatest friends. … When I began going to KCC I knew nobody here; being from a small school made the odds of seeing anyone I knew slim. Through my scholarship I have had the chance to interact with so many people, and some of those people are now some of my closest friends. The scholarship really gave me an opportunity to form friendships with people that I may have never known if it weren’t for the scholarship.

What is a special memory or experience you’ve had that wouldn’t have happened if not for the Board of Trustees Scholarship program?

I was able to assist with the Binder Park Golf Course event. I got to hang out with some absolutely amazing people and I got to meet the president of KCC. … My friend convinced me to go to the golf outing and help thank all the people who make scholarships like mine possible. That is where I first met Dr. B. She was hanging out at our golf hole for a while, and I think it was amazing that she was such a down to earth and overall very friendly person.

What do you ultimately want to do for a career, and why did you choose that profession?

When I am finished with KCC I hope to be working as a paramedic. I chose this profession because I want to make a difference in people’s lives. I found that as a paramedic I can really make a difference.

KCC Foundation scholarship applications for new, returning and graduating KCC students are available now and can be completed entirely online for free. Visit kellogg.edu/kccscholarships for links to scholarship applications and more information about scholarships for KCC students.

The photo of Runyon above is courtesy of Jasmine McMaster.