Students who are interested in getting ahead in math this summer can earn five credits and knock out some degree requirements by taking MATH 142: Calculus 2 at Kellogg Community College.
The five-credit class will run online from June 6 through Aug. 2.
According to the official class description for the course, MATH 142: Calculus 2 is “A study of the techniques of integration, limits, series, and applications.”
Math faculty Dr. David Tannor, who’s teaching the class this summer, said among the many interesting things students will explore are “exciting applications, such as modeling the COVID-19 pandemic with some calculus techniques.”
Tannor said the class is for students majoring in math, science, engineering or “anyone who’d like to learn more about calculus,” and it will help students meet major requirements, gain a solid understanding of how to model changing phenomena, and develop both higher-order thinking and problem-solving skills.
Here are five additional reasons to take MATH 142: Calculus 2 at KCC this summer:
- MATH 142 is offered online and “asynchronous,” meaning you don’t have to be in a certain place at a certain time to complete your work (as long as you turn it in by the due dates). You can work remotely and flexibly on your own schedule to complete required coursework.
- MATH 142 fulfills one of the two class requirements from the Critical Thinking category of General Education Applied Core classes required to earn an associate degree at KCC.
- MATH 142 is among the classes that can be used to fulfill requirements in the Mathematics category of the Michigan Transfer Agreement.
- MATH 142 transfers to nearly 40 colleges and universities in Michigan, including Western Michigan University, the top transfer destination for KCC students. Click here for a list of colleges and universities in Michigan MATH 142 will transfer to. MATH 142 at KCC is a “quality and rigorous course at an affordable rate that rivals the likes of big-name universities and colleges,” Tannor said.
- MATH 142 starts three weeks later than most summer classes — on June 6 — so students have extra time to prepare.
For more information about taking MATH 142 this summer, contact Professor Tannor at email@example.com.
Information about signing up for Summer 2022 classes at Kellogg Community College can be found online at www.kellogg.edu/registration.
The first Summer 2022 classes started May 16, and the semester ends Aug. 4. Students are encouraged to sign up for classes as early as possible because space is limited and many classes fill up by the start of the semester.
Students new to KCC must fill out an application and verify residency before signing up for classes. Admissions applications can be completed online at kellogg.edu/apply.
Those who wish to meet with an academic advisor prior to registering are encouraged to schedule an appointment online at kellogg.edu/academic-advising or by calling 269-965-4124 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.