Approximately $90,000 in scholarship money was raised for Kellogg Community College students at the annual Bruin Scholarship Open golf event on Friday, Sept. 6, at Binder Park Golf Course.
The annual fundraiser, now in its 16th year, remains popular in terms of participation – 240 golfers played Friday — and the amount of scholarship money raised by players and sponsors.
Ginger Cutsinger, executive director of the Kellogg Community College Foundation and chief organizer of the event, said this year’s outing at Binder Park Golf Course was a tremendous success.
“This was a great outing. We were sold out in terms of golfers in early July, the weather was perfect and we raised about $90,000 for student scholarships,” Cutsinger said. “Our employee volunteers make all the difference. More than 50 people give of their time and talent to ensure that this outing is a huge success every year, and they do that because the money we raise helps local students attend KCC.”
Funds raised this year will pay for about 25 student scholarships.
“We’re especially grateful for our sponsors and players from across the area who donated money, prizes and time for the Bruin Scholarship Open,” Cutsinger said.
In addition to 18 holes of golf, players entered contests on the course and a raffle to win dozens of prizes, including two large-screen televisions, tablet computers, a generator and power washer.
Major sponsors of the event included:
- GDI Omni
- IBEW 445 LMCC, including Current Electric, Motor Shop, Union Electric
- The CSM Group, Inc.
- Schroeder & DeGraw PLLC
- Schweitzer, Inc.
- Trane of West Michigan
- Union Electric, Inc.
- Worgess Insurance
- Atlas Sales
- Battle Creek Community Foundation
- Bendzinski & Co.
- Brickman Group
- Construction Laborers’ Local Union #355
- Cook/Jackson Company
- Eaton Corporation
- In memory of Gordon F. McCaleb
- The Melges Group of Raymond James
- Midwest Communication Services, Inc.
- Oaklawn Hospital
- Plante Moran
- Southwest Michigan Building and Construction Trades Council
- Tower Pinkster, Architects & Engineers
- Tremco Roofing & Building Maintenance Division
- UAW Region 1-C Cap
- WorkSquared, Inc/Herman Miller Inc.
The winning teams of the 2013 Bruin Scholarship Open were:
- Men’s: GDI OMNI – Mike Boomrod, Joe Khalil, Eddie Naji, Michael Boomrod
- Women’s: UAW Local 1294 #116 – Sandi McGuire, Becky Gallimore, Charin Nichols, Patty Ralph
- Mixed: Atlas Sales/Budweiser – Kathy-Sue and Greg Dunn, Kelly and Rick Scott
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at daily.kellogg.edu/category/press-releases.