KCC student receives $1,000 LEEP law enforcement scholarship

Scholarship winner Bradley Duck, Jr.

News from the Law Enforcement Education Program based in Troy:

Pennfield High School graduate Bradley Duck, Jr., is among 21 top students who will receive $1,000 college scholarships to encourage their pursuit of law enforcement/public safety careers by the professional public safety officers of the Law Enforcement Education Program (LEEP).

Duck, who was dual‐enrolled, graduated Pennfield High School with a 3.29 GPA and had a 4.0 GPA at Kellogg Community College. He plans to attend Grand Valley State University to pursue a degree in Criminal Justice. His plans to become a police officer, following in the footsteps of his father, a 25‐year veteran of the Battle Creek Police Department.

“My father and his friends’ honesty, integrity and passion for the job sparked my interest in being a police officer almost from birth. I have seen and heard firsthand what this job entails and the good and the bad that come with it,” wrote Duck on his scholarship application. “My father, as a longtime member of the Police Officers Labor Council – Battle Creek and the union treasurer for over 18 years, has been an amazing example to me of service to his community and fellow officers. I look forward to the privilege of protecting and serving my community, the community I love.”

Duck was on the high school football, lacrosse, wrestling and baseball teams, winning two football conference championships and two district championships and a district wrestling championship. Duck was a Ski Club member and received an Academic Letter.

He volunteered eight years at the Detective Lavern Brann Memorial Golf outing, organized by Battle Creek Police Officers Association, which supports youth athletics in the Battle Creek area. Duck delivered Thanksgiving meals for over 10 years to Battle Creek area elderly and needy families. The National Honors Society member volunteered with Pennfield Rocket Football Association helping with player registration, equipment fitting, announcing, scorekeeping and spotting for the announcer.

“He is an excellent role model for these young men and consistently teaches them life skills and proper sportsmanship,” wrote Michael D. McCafferty, Pennfield High Social Studies Chairperson in a letter of recommendation. “I have seen Brad take other students and athletes aside and help them to improve their own skills and knowledge; demonstrating that getting better is the goal for everyone.”

In its tenth year, LEEP has awarded some $123,000 in Dream scholarships to students showing a demonstrated interest in public service/law enforcement careers. The nonprofit public safety group’s scholarship program is made possible by a growing list of national supporters.

Visit www.leepusa.com for more information about LEEP programs.