As Michiganders know too well, the ice and snow that make our state’s winters so beautiful can also lead to hazardous road conditions, making commutes treacherous for those traveling to work or school.
In rare cases, weather-related incidents may lead to the cancellation of some or all classes at some or all Kellogg Community College campuses. In general, the decision to cancel classes or close due to inclement weather-related events is based on a variety of factors, all of which are centered on the safety and comfort of our students and staff.
These factors include, but are not limited to, the following:
1. Road conditions. We check with the Michigan State Police to determine road conditions in terms of drivability and visibility. In addition, we personally have someone drive local roads near the Battle Creek campus and communities within the College’s district to gauge their safety.
2. Weather conditions/forecast. We consider current weather conditions as well as the weather forecast for the day.
3. Campus parking lot and sidewalk conditions. We determine if there is ample time for our contractors to clear and salt campus parking lots and sidewalks at least one hour prior to the start of classes.
4. Availability of utilities. We determine if there is adequate heat, lighting and water to support College facilities and any special events.
5. Other considerations. Generally speaking, we also consider accreditation-based attendance requirements for many of our occupational programs, our inability to make up instructional time for students, and the philosophy that our students are capable of making adult decisions about whether or not they are taking unreasonable risk when traveling to and from the College.
KCC closure decisions are calculated independently in regards to the closure procedures of area public school systems, and it is sometimes the case that the College remains open on occasions when area public schools are closed due to weather-related conditions. Even when the College is open, we encourage students to make decisions that they feel are safest and best in regards to their individual situations.
In the case of a campus closure or the cancellation of all classes, a notice will be posted online on KCC’s homepage. Additionally, KCC’s Operating Status page at www.kellogg.edu/operating-status provides information about how to sign up for electronic text, email and RSS alerts that distribute information about weather and security incidents as they occur.
For more information, view the College’s Inclement Weather Guidelines.