Kellogg Community College awarded $1,600 worth of awards to student artists last Thursday during a reception honoring outstanding work exhibited as part of the College’s Annual Student Art Exhibition.
The exhibit, which is free and open to the public, runs through Friday, May 1, at the Art Center of Battle Creek, 265 E. Emmett St., where the reception was held Thursday. The show includes 134 works of art created by 70 KCC students and may be viewed during the Art Center’s business hours, which are 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays through Fridays and 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Saturdays.
Annual Student Art Exhibition award-winners include the student artists listed below, as selected by professional juror and Linda Holderbaum, executive director of the Art Center. Awards include a single Best of Show award ($250) and a Best of Media award ($75) and Honorable Mention awards ($25 each) in each category, in addition to other awards.
Best of Show went to Paul Edwards, of Battle Creek, for his photograph, “You’ll Just Die Tired” (pictured above). Edwards, who also won an Outstanding Merit Award from the Art Center for his Student Art Exhibition photograph, “Just a Thought,” last semester won first and third place in KCC’s You’ve Got This photo contest held in conjunction with the Michigan Community College Association, also taking Honorable Mention honors in the statewide You’ve Got This competition. Edwards was awarded the $1,000 Bryan R. Thomas Memorial Scholarship during KCC’s 2014 Student Art Exhibition and in the 2013 exhibition won the Best of Media award in the sculpture and 3D mixed media category, an Honorable Mention honor in the black and white photography category and was also awarded the $1,000 Battle Creek Society of Artists Scholarship.
KIMIKO PETERSEN FINE ART AWARDS
$1,350 total awards, selected by juror
Best of Show
- Paul Edwards, of Battle Creek, “You’ll Just Die Tired”
- Best of Drawing: Tucker DeCuypere, of Vicksburg, “Doodle-Bound”
- Honorable Mention Drawing: Norma Gabriela Nunez Reyes, of Bronson, “Untitled #2”
- Best of Painting: Jeremiah Brown, of Battle Creek, “Amenemhet III”
- Honorable Mention Painting: Taylor Yost, of Battle Creek, “Untitled #1”
- Honorable Mention Painting: Norma Gabriela Nunez Reyes, of Bronson, “Music & Acrylics”
2D Mixed Media
- Best of 2-D mixed-media: Stephen Young, of Battle Creek, “Personal Trading Cards”
- Honorable Mention 2-D mixed-media: Derek Williams, of Albion, “How I’m Cut”
Black and White Photography
- Best of Black and White Photography: Liz Stafford, of Richland, “Desolation”
- Honorable Mention Black and White Photography: Stephen Richmond, of Battle Creek, “Midway”
- Honorable Mention Black and White Photography: Bob Psalmonds, of Battle Creek, “Civil War Drummer”
- Best of Digital Media: Morgan Mattingly, of Battle Creek, “Anxiety”
- Honorable Mention Digital Media: Richard Kennedy, of Battle Creek, “My Collection”
- Honorable Mention Digital Media: Nick Copeland, of Albion, “Historical Text”
- Honorable Mention Digital Media: Nivedita Kavidi, of Battle Creek, “Untitled #1”
- Honorable Mention Digital Media: Sarah Huling, of Battle Creek, “Untitled #1”
- Honorable Mention Digital Media: Jordyn Allison, of Battle Creek, “Untitled”
Printmaking/Alternative Photography Print Processes
- Best of Printmaking/Alternative Photography Print Processes: Amanda Spencer, of Battle Creek, “Red Fence”
- Honorable Mention Printmaking/Alternative Photography Print Processes: Megan Ward, of Union City, “Barn”
- Honorable Mention Printmaking/Alternative Photography Print Processes: Stephen Richmond, of Battle Creek, “Moments in Time”
Graphic Design/Digital Illustration
- Best of Graphic Design/Digital Illustration: Talen Burress, of Springfield, “Mountain’s Eye”
- Honorable Mention Graphic Design/Digital Illustration: Morgan Thomas, of Coldwater, “Lizard of Oz”
- Honorable Mention Graphic Design/Digital Illustration: Kyler Hackworth, of Homer, “Missing Piece”
- Best of Animation/Video: Rob Rock, of Coldwater, “The Shift”
- Honorable Mention Animation/Video: Tanya Hilliker, of Coldwater, “Vanity”
Instructor Recognition Awards
- Austin Wisner, of Hastings
- Sherry Bonner Youngblood, of Coldwater
KCC ARTS AND COMMUNICATIONS DEPARTMENTAL AWARDS
- Outstanding Achievement in Art: Tanya Hilliker, of Coldwater
- Binda Excellence in Art: Rob Rock, of Coldwater
MOSAIC ENTRY RECOGNITION AWARDS
- Cover Art: Anthony Allred, of Battle Creek, “Head Pawn”
- Interior Art: Kaitlyn Stabe, of Battle Creek, “Baby”
ART CENTER AWARDS
- Outstanding Merit Award: Paul Edwards, of Battle Creek, “Just a Thought”
- Merit Award: Virginia McCain, of Battle Creek, “Danica”
- Merit Award: Taylor Yost, of Battle Creek, “Untitled #1”
- Merit Award: Elizabeth Cook, of Battle Creek, “A Book by its Cover”
- KCC Art League Award of Excellence: Alicia Nino, of Battle Creek, “Unititled #1”
- Bryan R. Thomas Memorial Scholarship: Leviathan Josts, of Battle Creek
KCC’s Student Art Exhibition is the just the latest College collaboration with the Art Center this year. The KCC Faculty Biennial Art Exhibition, featuring art created by the College’s Arts and Communication faculty members, was held at the center in February, and several KCC art classes are being held this semester while the College’s Davidson Visual and Performing Arts Center is being renovated.
For more information about KCC’s Annual Student Art Show, contact KCC Photography and Multimedia Program Coordinator and Gallery Director Ryan Flathau at 269-965-3931 ext. 2559 or email@example.com. For more information about art studies and opportunities at KCC, visit www.kellogg.edu/art.
The above photo of Edwards with his Best of Show award-winning photograph was taken by KCC student and photographer Sarah Huling.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest news releases online at daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.