*UPDATE (MAY 4, 2015): KCC’s May 4 home games against Owens Community College have been canceled. The team plays next beginning at 4 p.m. Wednesday, May 6, as part of the 2015 Division II Softball District I Championship in Abbott Park in East Lansing.
When Darrick Brown took the helm of the Kellogg Community College softball team as the Bruins’ new head coach last summer, his intentions were clear. “I expect to come in right away and win,” he said in July. “I’m here to win championships.”
Brown has since made good on his word. The Bruins, commanding a 27-5 conference record and 34-11 record overall under Brown’s leadership, have earned more wins in a single season than any other softball team in the program’s history at KCC; the team clinched the Michigan Community College Athletic Association Western Conference Championship — another first for KCC softball — last month, and was ranked 18th in the nation in the National Junior College Athletic Association’s latest Division II softball poll on April 29.
The Bruins’ season continues this afternoon, when the team will play for the state championship as part of a tournament held at Oakland Community College’s Highland Lakes Campus in Waterford. KCC will take the field against the MCCAA’s Eastern Conference runner-up Oakland at 3:30 p.m. as part of the second semi-final game of the day; the winner will then play either Eastern Conference champion Macomb Community College or Western Conference runner-up Lansing Community College, depending on which of the teams wins the first semi-final at 1:30 p.m.
The MCCAA Softball Tournament Championship game will begin 30 minutes after the KCC/Oakland game, at approximately 6 p.m.
To summarize today’s tournament schedule:
- 1:30 p.m Lansing vs. Macomb (Semi-Final 1)
- 3:30 p.m. Oakland vs. Kellogg (Semi-Final 2)
- 6 p.m. MCCAA Softball Tournament Championship (30 minutes after Semi-Final 2)
Click here for a 2015 MCCAA Softball Tournament bracket.
Bruins fans can follow the results of today’s action in near-real-time through the following KCC social media channels:
- KCC’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/KelloggCommunityCollege
- KCC’s Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/Kellogg_CC
Additionally, fans can visit www.kellogg.edu/softball and fill out the “Get KCC Athletics Results by Email” form to receive KCC Athletics results by email following each game.
The Bruins will see action one more time in Battle Creek this season, playing their final home games of the semester in a doubleheader that starts at 3 p.m. Monday, May 4, against Owens Community College at Bailey Park. Admission to all KCC home athletics games is free.
NJCAA District Championship
The KCC softball team’s postseason play will continue Wednesday, May 6, through Friday, May 8, as part of the NJCAA’s 2015 Division II Softball District I Championship, held at Abbott Park in East Lansing. The Bruins will take the field beginning at 4 p.m. May 6 in Game 3 of the tournament, playing the winner of Game 1.
To summarize the District Championship schedule:
Wednesday, May 6
- Game 1: Sinclair vs. Lansing, Field 4, 2 p.m.
- Game 2: Muskegon vs. KVCC, Field 3, 2 p.m.
- Game 3: Winner of Game 1 vs. KCC, Field 4, 4 p.m.
- Game 4: Winner of Game 2 vs. Owens, Field 3, 4 p.m.
Thursday, May 7
- Game 5: Loser of Game 2 vs. Loser of Game 3, Field 4, noon
- Game 6: Loser of Game 1 vs. Loser of Game 4, Field 3, noon
- Game 7: Winner of Game 3 vs. Winner of Game 4, Field 3, 2 p.m.
- Game 8: Winner of Game 5 vs. Winner of Game 6, Field 4, 2 p.m.
- Game 9: Winner of Game 8 vs. Loser of Game 7, Field 3, 4 p.m.
Friday, May 8
- Game 10: Winner of Game 7 vs. Winner of Game 9, Field 3, 10 a.m.
- Game 11: Winner of Game 10 vs. Loser of Game 10, Field 3, noon (if necessary)
Click here for a 2015 NJCAA Division II Softball District I Championship bracket.
If KCC wins the District Championship, the team will qualify for the 2015 NJCAA Division II Softball National Championship, to be held May 13 through 16 in Clinton, Miss.
High-resolution team and individual photos of the KCC softball team are available for download for use by fans and the media from the 2015 KCC Women’s Softball album on KCC’s Flickr page.
High-resolution images of the team in action playing during home games at Bailey Park in Battle Creek are available for download from the following online Dropboxes (please credit appropriately if used):
- KCC vs. Kalamazoo Valley Community College, March 20, 2015 (if used credit Sarah Huling/Kellogg Community College)
- KCC vs. Lake Michigan College, March 29, 2015 (if used credit Kellogg Community College)
- KCC vs. Lansing Community College, April 4, 2015 (if used credit Kellogg Community College)
For more information about KCC softball, contact head softball coach Darrick Brown at:
- 269-806-2659 (cell)
- 269-965-4151 ext. 2555 (office)
Kellogg Community College is part of the Michigan Community College Athletic Association’s Western Conference and is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association’s Region 12. KCC athletes are known as Bruins, the mascot’s name is Blaze and the College’s school colors are blue and silver. Sports currently offered at KCC include baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, softball and women’s volleyball. For more information about KCC’s softball team, visit www.kellogg.edu/softball.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest news releases online at daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.