Kellogg Community College and the Community Music School will present a free afternoon of jazz beginning at 3 p.m. Sunday, May 17, at the Binda Performing Arts Center on campus at 450 North Ave., Battle Creek.
The concert, titled “And All That Jazz,” is free and open to the public and will include performances by the more than 40 musicians who make up the KCC/CMS Concert Band and the KCC Jazz Band.
The program will feature selections by composers including John Philip Sousa, Robert Sheldon, Henry Fillmore, Cole Porter, George Gershwin, Herbie Hancock, Miles Davis, Billy Strayhorn, Pat Metheny and more.
“And All That Jazz” marks the final event on the Cultural Events Calendar for KCC’s 2014-15 academic year, which celebrated last fall’s re-opening of the College’s Binda Performing Arts Center after several months of renovations.
Future music events at the College include:
- A “Baroque and Beyond” opening gala concert Oct. 25 in the newly renovated auditorium in KCC’s Davidson Visual and Performing Arts Center, featuring instrumental and vocal faculty artists.
- A KCC Choral Union concert performance Nov. 14 with the Battle Creek Community Chorus, the choirs of Albion College and the Battle Creek Symphony.
- Music Week Feb. 7-14, 2016 on KCC’s North Avenue campus in Battle Creek.
- A KCC Choral Union Touring Choir concert tour of New York City in the spring of 2016, when the group has been invited to perform under the direction of renowned American composer Jacqueline Hairston for a series of performances in NYC’s prestigious Carnegie Hall. In addition to performing at Carnegie Hall, the choir will present concerts in Philadelphia and Washington, D.C.
- A concert tour of the American South in 2018.
For more information about music programming or other artistic opportunities at KCC, contact Dr. Gerald Blanchard, director of vocal music and music coordinator at KCC, at 269-965-3931 ext. 2566 or email@example.com or visit www.kellogg.edu/music.
About the Performing Arts at KCC
Performing arts opportunities offered through Kellogg Community College include five choral ensembles, two theatrical ensembles and three instrumental ensembles. The College also offers individualized music lessons in voice and instrumental music for students and community members, as well as monthly master classes, Guest Artist Recital Series events, student and faculty recitals, small instrumental ensembles and other special events. KCC’s professional music division faculty prepare students for performance in studio seminars, recitals, academic and professional auditions and for self-enrichment purposes. For more information about music programming at KCC, contact Dr. Gerald J. Blanchard, music area coordinator, at 269-965-3931 ext. 2566 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest news releases online at daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.