Kellogg Community College will celebrate November as Military Veterans Awareness Month and will recognize the service of U.S. military veterans by hosting several veteran-related events and initiatives throughout the month.
The KCC Board of Trustees approved the designation during its regular board meeting on Oct. 21, making this the third consecutive year that the College has officially recognized November as a month-long opportunity to honor veterans. KCC celebrated Honor Our Veterans Month in November 2013 and Veterans Month in November 2014.
The following Military Veterans Awareness Month events are free and open to the public and will be located on the College’s campus at 450 North Ave., Battle Creek.
- Veterans Art Exhibit, Nov. 2 through 30 in the Morris Learning Resource Center (LRC), which houses the KCC library. The exhibit will feature art created by KCC students, employees and community members who are military veterans and will be open for public viewing during the LRC’s regular business hours of 7:45 a.m. to 9 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and 7:45 a.m. to 5 p.m. Fridays.
- Veterans Art Exhibit Opening Reception, 4 to 5 p.m. Nov. 5 in the Spring Lake Room, also located in the LRC. Light refreshments will be provided.
- Employment Workshop: Navigating USAjobs.gov, 10 to 11:30 a.m. Nov. 11 in the Kellogg Room. Veterans and non-veterans alike are welcome to attend this workshop for assistance in understanding the resume and application process for federal jobs.
- Veterans Day Ceremony, noon to 1 p.m. Nov. 11 in the Student Center. KCC alumna and retired Air Force Brig. Gen. Linda McTague will be the keynote speaker.
- “American Sniper” movie viewing, 1 p.m. Nov. 11 in the Kellogg Room. Sponsored by KCC’s Phi Theta Kappa honor society.
In addition to the events and activities listed above, KCC will also host a veterans benefits display bulletin board all month outside the College’s security office, a POW/MIA display table all month in the Student Center, and will accept items and monetary donations at the Support Services offices on the North Avenue campus and the Regional Manufacturing Technology Center offices at 405 Hill Brady Road, Battle Creek, for shipment to active-duty military personnel serving overseas as part of Operation Gratitude.
Additional Military Veterans Awareness Month related events include:
- Calhoun County College Night, 6:30 to 8 p.m. Nov. 2, at McCamly Plaza Hotel, 50 Capital Ave. SW, Battle Creek. Attendees will have the opportunity to speak with military recruiters in addition to representatives from more than 70 higher-ed institutions and organizations from around the state.
- Veterans Meet and Greet, noon to 1 p.m. Nov. 19, at the RMTC. This informal gathering is for military veterans attending the RMTC and is open to KCC veteran students and employees only. Refreshments will be provided for attendees.
For more information about Military Veterans Awareness Month at KCC, contact Holly McKee, director of Support Services at KCC, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 269-965-4150. For more information about veteran services at KCC, visit www.kellogg.edu/veterans.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at https://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.