Kellogg Community College recognized more than 40 of the College’s top students during an Outstanding Bruin Awards ceremony April 26.
Formerly known as the College’s Awards Banquet, the annual ceremony recognizes students’ outstanding achievement in their field of study. Award winners are selected by the faculty and administrators from the department that corresponds with each award; awards are also given to the overall outstanding full- and part-time graduates in each of the College’s two academic divisions.
For this year’s Outstanding Bruin Awards, several new awards were added, including the:
- Catalyst Award: The Catalyst Award honors a student who has sparked positive change at the College and is deeply engaged in campus activities such as Student Life programs, athletic events and/or volunteering at College events. The winner is very school spirited and has a never-ending bucket of positivity.
- Emerging Leader Award: The Emerging Leader Award recognizes a first-year student who demonstrates promising leadership talent and has exhibited initiative on campus through engaging in campus activities.
- Golden Hammer Award: The Golden Hammer Award honors a student that has faced many obstacles and barriers but always find a way to persist onward. This student is resilient and known for busting barriers.
- Level Up Award: The Level Up Award recognizes a student employee at KCC who has demonstrated significant personal growth while excelling in their job at the College. This type of personal growth and on-the-job excellence is what will help this student “level up” professionally.
- Program of the Year Award: The Program of the Year Award recognizes an event, project or program planned during the academic year that has had a positive impact on students.
- Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award is given to an advisor nominated by their students. Advisors have made outstanding contributions to the success and development of the organization as well as its individual student members.
- Registered Student Organization of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization of the Year Award recognizes an organization that stands out among other student organizations based on its programming, spirit and overall contributions to the College.
- Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award recognizes a student RSO officer who stands out from other officers through leadership and going above and beyond the scope of their position, often handling the “in between” tasks that do not align with any specific position.
- Student Veteran Award: The Student Veteran Award honors a student who has served in a branch of the military and continues to demonstrate service beyond their service to our country by engaging on campus and/or in the community.
To qualify for an academic Outstanding Bruin Award, students must major or exhibit interest in their award area; earn a 3.5 or higher GPA in their award area; evidence significant creative growth; and exhibit a high degree of participation in and/or contributions to the department activities in one or more capacities.
This year’s award winners are listed below.
INSTRUCTIONAL DIVISION AWARDS
Arts & Sciences Awards
- Alexis French, of Hanover, Service-Learning Commitment
Arts & Communications Department
- Caroline O’Dell, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Art
- Mary Hallaxs, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Communication
- Caroline O’Dell, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Creative Writing
- Madison Etheridge, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Music
- Sarah Vorva, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Photography & Multimedia
Elizabeth and Guido Binda Excellence in Visual and Performing Arts Awards
- Jennifer Lipps, of Battle Creek, Excellence in Art – Binda Award
- Alaina Adair, of Battle Creek, Excellence in Communication – Binda Award
- Madison Etheridge, of Battle Creek, Excellence in Music – Binda Award
Math & Science Department
- Chrystal Byrd, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Biology
- Austin Begley, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Chemistry
- Dawson Hamill, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Mathematics
- Matthew Maurer, of Hastings, Outstanding Achievement in Physics
Social Science & Education Department
- Amy Fenner, of Quincy, Outstanding Early Childhood Education Program Graduate
- Dayna Allen, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Education Major Graduate
- Mary Hallaxs, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Human Services Program Graduate
- Michael Burdette, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Social Science Graduate
Career & Occupational Education Division Awards
- Joshua Minnard, of Otsego, Breaking Traditions Graduate
Allied Health Department
- Emily Carpenter, of Caledonia, Outstanding Dental Hygiene Graduate
- Emily Lihte, of Marshall, Outstanding Physical Therapist Assistant Graduate
- Gregory Whitmer, of Portage, Outstanding Radiography Graduate
Business & Information Technology Department
- Howard Sams, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Business Management Graduate
- Lindsey Bartholomew, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Technology Graduate
- Christopher Ulrich, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Computer Engineering Technology Graduate
- Cora Westlake, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Graphic Design Graduate
Industrial Trades Department
- Trayvon Thompson, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Industrial Skilled Trades Student
- Joshua Minnard, of Otsego, Outstanding Associate Degree Full-Time Nursing Graduate
- Alison Guerin, of Kalamazoo, Outstanding Associate Degree Part-Time Nursing Graduate
Public Safety Education Department
- Levi Allen, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Criminal Justice Graduate
- Corrin O’Neil, of Lansing, Outstanding Emergency Medical Services Student
STUDENT & COMMUNITY SERVICES DIVISION AWARDS
- Allison Anthony, of Battle Creek, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Matthew Maurer, of Hastings, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Kaylynn White, of Quincy, Catalyst Award
- Autumn Thornton, of Athens, Emerging Leader Award
- Lawrence Brand, of Battle Creek, Golden Hammer Award
- Jessica Thomason, of Battle Creek, Level Up Award
- Ashley Earle, of Nashville; Daniel Ohler, of Nashville; Dylan Schleben, of Union City; and Doug Sears, of Hastings; The Gathering, Program of the Year Award
- Kimberly Kusler, of Ceresco, Outstanding Female Scholar Athlete
- Logan Briggs, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Male Scholar Athlete
- Bridget Korpela, of Battle Creek, Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year
- Brittney Barnett, of Marshall; Lisa Friddle, of Nashville; Emily Marshall, of Marshall; and Faith Poling, of Tecumseh; Student American Dental Hygienists’ Association, Registered Student Organization of the Year
- Bailey Parker, of Olivet, Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year
- Scott Babcock, of Battle Creek, Student Veteran Award
OUTSTANDING GRADUATE AWARDS
- Chrystal Byrd, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Arts & Sciences Graduate – Part-Time Student
- Mary Hallaxs, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Arts & Sciences Graduate – Full-Time Student
- Howard Sams, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Career & Occupational Education Graduate – Part-Time Student
- Levi Allen, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Career & Occupational Education Graduate – Full-Time Student
- Jessica Thomason, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Student & Community Services Graduate – Trailblazer
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at https://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.