KCC alumna Perla Herrera loved coming to KCC

KCC alumna Perla Herrera

Perla Herrera always wanted to work in the medical field but didn’t like working with blood.

“I still wanted to do something to help patients with their medical needs,” Herrera says. “I found that working on the nonclinical side can be just as rewarding for helping people.”

Herrera, now 36, graduated from Kellogg Community College in 2016 with an Associate in Applied Science in Medical Administrative Assistant degree and today works with patient records and scheduling for the Gun Lake Tribe. Her KCC program was a great fit for the kind of work she was looking for, offering an administrative focus in a health care setting.

“I loved coming to KCC,” Herrera says. “It was an awesome school, the teachers are all awesome, I liked the campus, everything. I had a great experience.”

In the future, Herrera is considering continuing her education at the bachelor level on the path to becoming a supervisor or practice manager. Today she says the most influential person for her at KCC was her instructor Kim Madsen, who helped her in her studies from the very beginning.

“She was always there to guide me through the courses and pushed me to do my best,” Herrera says. “I will forever appreciate her for telling me that she believed in me and that I can do whatever I set my mind to.”

Register for Fall Classes

Registration for classes offered during KCC’s Fall 2018 semester is open now! For more information, visit www.kellogg.edu/registration.

What’s Your KCC Story?

What’s your KCC story? Share it on social media using the hashtag #KCCstory or send it to us via the online form linked from www.kellogg.edu/kccstories.