Kellogg Community College recognized four dozen of the College’s top students during its annual Outstanding Bruin Awards ceremony April 16.
The ceremony each year recognizes students’ outstanding achievement in their field of study. Award winners are selected by the faculty and administrators from the department that corresponds with each award; awards are also given to the overall outstanding full- and part-time graduates in each of the College’s two academic divisions.
To qualify for an academic Outstanding Bruin Award, students must major or exhibit interest in their award area; earn a 3.5 or higher GPA in their award area; evidence significant creative growth; and exhibit a high degree of participation in and/or contributions to the department activities in one or more capacities.
In addition to academic departmental awards, KCC also presenting the following:
- Breaking Traditions Award: The Breaking Traditions Award recognizes a student who has successfully pursued the career path of their choice, even when it is a nontraditional choice for their gender.
- Catalyst Award: The Catalyst Award honors a student who has sparked positive change at the College and is deeply engaged in campus activities such as Student Life programs, athletic events and/or volunteering at College events. The winner is very school spirited and has a never-ending bucket of positivity.
- Emerging Leader Award: The Emerging Leader Award recognizes a first-year student who demonstrates promising leadership talent and has exhibited initiative on campus through engaging in campus activities.
- Golden Hammer Award: The Golden Hammer Award honors a student that has faced many obstacles and barriers but always find a way to persist onward. This student is resilient and known for busting barriers.
- Level Up Award: The Level Up Award recognizes a student employee at KCC who has demonstrated significant personal growth while excelling in their job at the College. This type of personal growth and on-the-job excellence is what will help this student “level up” professionally.
- Program of the Year Award: The Program of the Year Award recognizes an event, project or program planned during the academic year that has had a positive impact on students.
- Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award is given to an advisor nominated by their students. Advisors have made outstanding contributions to the success and development of the organization as well as its individual student members.
- Registered Student Organization of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization of the Year Award recognizes an organization that stands out among other student organizations based on its programming, spirit and overall contributions to the College.
- Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award recognizes a student RSO officer who stands out from other officers through leadership and going above and beyond the scope of their position, often handling the “in between” tasks that do not align with any specific position.
This year’s award winners are listed below.
INSTRUCTIONAL DIVISION AWARDS
Arts & Sciences Awards
- Brittney Barnett, of Marshall, Service-Learning Commitment
Art, Education & Social Science
- Jason Adams, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Creative Writing
- Kim Collier, of Albion, Outstanding Early Childhood Education Program Graduate
- Katelyn Newberry, of Allen, Outstanding Education Major Graduate
- Seth Allred, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Foreign Language
- Sui Thluai, of Springfield, Outstanding Human Services Program Graduate
- Graham Wittkop, of Springfield, Outstanding Achievement in Photography & Multimedia
- Nathan Halder, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Social Science Graduate
Mathematics & Science
- Austin Begley, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Biology
- Allison Newton, of Marshall, Outstanding Achievement in Chemistry
- Tyrique Garcia, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Mathematics
Fine Arts & Communication
- Mara Allan, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Art
- Jessalynn Genier, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Communication
- Cacey Hirleman, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Music
- Amy Beebe, of Battle Creek, Excellence in Art – Binda Award
- Erin Jackson, of Battle Creek, Excellence in Communication – Binda Award
- Timothy Lotter, of Battle Creek, Excellence in Music – Binda Award
Career & Occupational Education Awards
- Jessica Galemore, of Battle Creek, Breaking Traditions Award
Business & Information Technology
- Ashley Patchett, of Olivet, Outstanding Business Management Graduate
- Brandon Corra, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Technology Graduate
- Arash Keshavarz, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Computer Engineering Technology Graduate
- Cameron Kohn, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Graphic Design Graduate
- Barbara Burdick, of Bellevue, Outstanding Office Information Technology Graduate
- Brittany Doyle, of Hanover, Outstanding Dental Hygiene Graduate
- Melinda Williams, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Magnetic Resource Imaging Graduate
- Kara Weber, of Otsego, Outstanding Physical Therapist Assistant Graduate
- Megan Zinsmaster, of Three Rivers, Outstanding Radiography Graduate
- Nicholas Travis, of Quincy, Outstanding Associate Degree Full-Time Nursing Graduate
- Crystal Stout, of Wayland, Outstanding Associate Degree Part-Time Nursing Graduate
Industrial Skilled Trades
- Jessica Galemore, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Industrial Skilled Trades Student
Public Safety Education
- Levi Yonkers, of Hastings, Outstanding Criminal Justice Graduate
- Anthony Aber, of Bellevue, Outstanding Emergency Medical Services Student
STUDENT & COMMUNITY SERVICES DIVISION AWARDS
- Dawson Morgan, of Bellevue, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Autumn Thornton, of Athens, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Brandon Haynes, of Climax, Catalyst Award
- Andrea Smith, of Battle Creek, Emerging Leader Award
- Daniel Ohler, of Nashville, Golden Hammer Award
- Bailey Scott, of Battle Creek, Level Up Award
- Bethany Behrens, of Battle Creek; Danh Huu Do, of Battle Creek; Jacob Pestun, of Bellevue; and Ashley Wild, of Battle Creek; Tech Club, Program of the Year Award
- Kirby Frodge, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Female Scholar Athlete
- Mark Scannell, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Male Scholar Athlete
- Anna Cox, of Battle Creek, Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year
- Ashley Earle, of Nashville; Corey Gilbert, of Hillsdale; Daniel Ohler, of Nashville; and Izaac Smith, of Battle Creek; The Gathering, Registered Student Organization of the Year
- Melina Tindol, of Battle Creek, Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year
OUTSTANDING GRADUATE AWARDS
- Jason Adams, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Arts & Sciences Graduate – Part-Time Student
- Kim Collier, of Albion, Outstanding Arts & Sciences Graduate – Full-Time Student
- Crystal Stout, of Wayland, Outstanding Career & Occupational Education Graduate – Part-Time Student
- Ashley Patchett, of Olivet, Outstanding Career & Occupational Education Graduate – Full-Time Student
- Sara Parks, of Marshall, Outstanding Student & Community Services Graduate – Trailblazer
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at https://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.