The National Council for Marketing and Public Relations this week honored Kellogg Community College’s Public Information and Marketing Department with 10 Medallion Awards for its efforts to recruit students, connect with the community and promote the College during the 2018-19 academic year.
The awards were announced Sept. 29 during the NCMPR’s District Three awards dinner in Milwaukee, Wisc. The NCMPR announced KCC had won awards in the following categories:
- Academic Catalog or Class Schedule (Gold), for KCC’s Bruin Youth Summer Camp schedule, which promotes youth programming
- Annual Report (Gold), for the College’s 2017-18 Annual Report, which conveys information about the College and the KCC Foundation
- Social Media (Gold), for KCC’s Instagram account
- Folder (Gold), for an informational folder designed for use by multiple KCC departments
- Interior Signage (Silver), for wall displays and lettering at the newly renovated Regional Manufacturing Technology Center
- Poster (Bronze), for a poster announcing key dates for KCC graduates
- Novelty Advertising (Bronze), for a magnet designed to promote the annual Bruin Boo! trick-or-treating event
- Specialty Publication (Bronze), for the “Blaze Goes to College” children’s book
- Interior Signage (Bronze), for wall displays and large-scale graphics in the lobby and gymnasium at the Miller Physical Education Building
- Special Event (Bronze), for the public open house held in August 2018 to celebrate the opening of the new Miller Physical Education Building
Eric Greene, chief communications officer at KCC, said the awards validate the institution’s expertise in marketing and design as well as an abiding commitment to effective communication within the College and between the College and various audiences.
“Kellogg Community College believes in communicating authentically through words, photos and design the vibrancy of our campus and the value of a community college education,” Greene said. “Because we are so intentional in this work and passionate about education, it’s a special honor for our integrated marketing communication strategies to be recognized by our peers. We are grateful to the NCMPR and its member institutions for these awards.”
KCC’s PIM Department, which provides a variety of in-house strategy development, marketing management, graphic design services and public relations leadership on behalf of the College, won four Medallion Awards in 2012, four in 2013, six in 2014, three in 2015, eight in 2016, nine in 2017 and one in 2018. The department also has won a total of three prestigious Paragon Awards – national honors bestowed by the NCMPR – since 2012.
Department employees include Eric Greene, chief communications officer; Kathy Jarvie, media design manager; June Lewis, Print and Document Services staff assistant; Mike Loader, Print and Document Services technician; Cab Rininger, media design staff assistant; Kristen Stolz, department assistant; and Simon Thalmann, digital marketing manager. The PIM Department also employs part-time student workers as an opportunity for KCC students to learn valuable, on-the-job marketing, communication and design skills.
The NCMPR represents marketing and public relations professionals at community and technical colleges across the United States and Canada. District Three of the NCMPR includes schools in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin and Ontario. Gold, silver and bronze Medallion and Paragon honors are awarded annually in a variety of marketing and public relations categories.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at https://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.