Kellogg Community College is pleased to announce the recipients of KCC’s annual Outstanding Bruin Awards, recognizing the College’s top students for outstanding achievement in their field of study.
To qualify for an academic Outstanding Bruin Award, students must major or exhibit interest in their award area; earn a 3.5 or higher GPA in their award area; evidence significant creative growth; and exhibit a high degree of participation in and/or contributions to the department activities in one or more capacities.
Awards are also given to the overall outstanding full- and part-time graduates in each of the College’s two academic divisions. Winners are selected by faculty and administrators from the department that corresponds with each award.
In addition to academic departmental awards, KCC also presenting the following:
- Catalyst Award: The Catalyst Award honors a student who has sparked positive change at the College and is deeply engaged in campus activities such as Student Life programs, athletic events and/or volunteering at College events. The winner is very school spirited and has a never-ending bucket of positivity.
- Emerging Leader Award: The Emerging Leader Award recognizes a first-year student who demonstrates promising leadership talent and has exhibited initiative on campus through engaging in campus activities.
- Golden Hammer Award: The Golden Hammer Award honors a student that has faced many obstacles and barriers but always find a way to persist onward. This student is resilient and known for busting barriers.
- Level Up Award: The Level Up Award recognizes a student employee at KCC who has demonstrated significant personal growth while excelling in their job at the College. This type of personal growth and on-the-job excellence is what will help this student “level up” professionally.
- Program of the Year Award: The Program of the Year Award recognizes an event, project or program planned during the academic year that has had a positive impact on students.
- Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award is given to an advisor nominated by their students. Advisors have made outstanding contributions to the success and development of the organization as well as its individual student members.
- Registered Student Organization of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization of the Year Award recognizes an organization that stands out among other student organizations based on its programming, spirit and overall contributions to the College.
- Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award recognizes a student RSO officer who stands out from other officers through leadership and going above and beyond the scope of their position, often handling the “in between” tasks that do not align with any specific position.
- Honesty & Integrity Award: The Honesty & Integrity Award recognizes a student who has demonstrated the utmost integrity through honest action.
This year’s award winners are listed below.
INSTRUCTIONAL DIVISION AWARDS
Arts & Sciences Awards
- Margaret Wood, of Battle Creek, Service-Learning Commitment Award
Art, Education & Social Science
- Nik Hyatt, of Springfield, Outstanding Achievement in Creative Writing
- Lauren Copenhaver, of Marcellus, Outstanding Early Childhood Education Program Graduate
- Hannah Stevens, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Education Major Graduate
- Christopher Burdette, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Human Services Program Graduate
- Teaira Gray, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Photography & Multimedia
- Joseph Larsen, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Student in Social Sciences
Mathematics & Science
- Sierra Thurmond, of Ceresco, Outstanding Achievement in Biology
- Abigail Boyer, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Chemistry
- Danh Do, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Mathematics
- Danh Do, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Physical Science
Fine Arts & Communication
- Kennedy Allen, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Art
Career & Occupational Education Awards
Business & Information Technology
- Jacquelynn Mason, of Marshall, Outstanding Business Management Graduate
- David Russell, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Technology Graduate
- Luke Swift, of Quincy, Outstanding Computer Engineering Technology Graduate
- Katarina Hart, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Graphic Design Graduate
- Jeremy McDaniel, of Burlington, Outstanding Office Information Technology Graduate
- Rachel Schellie, of Lansing, Outstanding Dental Hygiene Graduate
- Miranda Herendeen, of Coldwater, Outstanding Medical Assistant Graduate
- Peregrine Burke-McAllister, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Physical Therapist Assistant Graduate
- Baylee Sears, of Portage, Outstanding Radiography Graduate
- Hilary Anthony, of Ceresco, Outstanding Associate Degree Full-Time Nursing Graduate
- Chelsea Grogg, of Kalamazoo, Outstanding Associate Degree Part-Time Nursing Graduate
Industrial Skilled Trades
- Andrew Miller, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Industrial Skilled Trades Student
Public Safety Education
- Tristan Rivera, of Athens, Outstanding Criminal Justice Graduate
- Kinsley Poll, of Hastings, Outstanding Emergency Medical Services Student
STUDENT & COMMUNITY SERVICES DIVISION AWARDS
- Tristan Rivera, of Athens, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Abigail Boyer, of Battle Creek, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Andrea Smith, of Battle Creek, Catalyst Award
- Bryan Parnin, of Springfield, Emerging Leader Award
- Elizabeth Magnusson, of Albion, Golden Hammer Award
- Calissa Berry, of Marshall, Level Up Award
- Iris Hunter, of Battle Creek, Program of the Year Award
- Jacquelynn Mason, of Marshall, Outstanding Female Scholar Athlete Award
- Connor Brawley, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Male Scholar Athlete Award
- Drew Hutchinson, of Kalamazoo, Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year
- Kassandra Cary, of Coldwater; Rachel Schellie, of Lansing; and Kaitlyn Watz, of Coldwater; Student American Dental Hygiene Association, Registered Student Organization of the Year
- Joshua Getman, of Battle Creek, Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year
- Joseph Whalen, of Battle Creek, Honesty & Integrity Award
OUTSTANDING GRADUATE AWARDS
- Sierra Thurmond, of Ceresco, Outstanding Arts & Sciences Graduate – Part-Time Student
- Danh Do, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Arts & Sciences Graduate – Full-Time Student
- Andrew Miller, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Career & Occupational Division Graduate – Part-Time Student
- Hilary Anthony, of Ceresco, Outstanding Career & Occupational Division Graduate – Full-Time Student
- Andrea Smith, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Student & Community Services Division Graduate – Trailblazer Award
Outstanding Bruin Award winners are usually recognized during an annual awards ceremony on campus in April. This year’s event was canceled due to COVID-19, and recipients were notified of their award by mail in July.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at https://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.