Kellogg Community College is pleased to announce the recipients of KCC’s annual Outstanding Bruin Awards, recognizing the College’s top students for outstanding achievement in their field of study.
Outstanding Bruin Award winners were recognized during an awards ceremony on campus on April 26. This year’s award winners are listed below.
To qualify for an academic Outstanding Bruin Award, students must major or exhibit interest in their award area; earn a 3.5 or higher GPA in their award area; evidence significant creative growth; and exhibit a high degree of participation in and/or contributions to the department activities in one or more capacities.
Awards are also given to the overall outstanding full- and part-time graduates in each of the College’s two academic divisions. Winners are selected by faculty and administrators from the department that corresponds with each award.
In addition to academic departmental awards, KCC also presenting the following:
- Breaking Traditions Award: The Breaking Traditions Award recognizes students who successfully pursue the career path of their choice even when it is a nontraditional choice for their gender.
- Catalyst Award: The Catalyst Award honors a student who has sparked positive change at the College and is deeply engaged in campus activities such as Student Life programs, athletic events and/or volunteering at College events. The winner is very school spirited and has a never-ending bucket of positivity.
- Emerging Leader Award: The Emerging Leader Award recognizes a first-year student who demonstrates promising leadership talent and has exhibited initiative on campus through engaging in campus activities.
- Golden Hammer Award: The Golden Hammer Award honors a student that has faced many obstacles and barriers but always find a way to persist onward. This student is resilient and known for busting barriers.
- Level Up Award: The Level Up Award recognizes a student employee at KCC who has demonstrated significant personal growth while excelling in their job at the College. This type of personal growth and on-the-job excellence is what will help this student “level up” professionally.
- Program of the Year Award: The Program of the Year Award recognizes an event, project or program planned during the academic year that has had a positive impact on students.
- Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award is given to an advisor nominated by their students. Advisors have made outstanding contributions to the success and development of the organization as well as its individual student members.
- Registered Student Organization of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization of the Year Award recognizes an organization that stands out among other student organizations based on its programming, spirit and overall contributions to the College.
- Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award recognizes a student RSO officer who stands out from other officers through leadership and going above and beyond the scope of their position, often handling the “in between” tasks that do not align with any specific position.
INSTRUCTIONAL DIVISION AWARDS
Arts & Sciences Awards
Art, Education & Social Science
- Lisa Curry, of Kalamazoo, Outstanding Early Childhood Education Program Graduate
- Kassidy Bishop, of Sherwood, Outstanding Education Major Graduate
- January Johnson, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Foreign Language
- Ava Cooney, of Athens, Outstanding Human Services Program Graduate
- Brittney Sammons, of Tekonsha, Outstanding Achievement in Photography & Multimedia
- Jaden Swartz, of Coldwater, Outstanding Student in Social Sciences
Mathematics & Science
- Regan Fulmer, of Marshall, Outstanding Achievement in Biology
- Jewel McMaster, of Leonidas, Outstanding Achievement in Chemistry
- Joseph Zylla, of Springfield, Outstanding Achievement in Mathematics
- Jaelle Lampert, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Physics
Fine Arts & Communication
- Jasmine McMaster, of Leonidas, Outstanding Achievement in Art
- Rowen Talmage, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Communication
- Marley Rose Voke, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in English
- Madison Barton, of Scotts, Excellence in Art – Binda Award
- Oriana Bell, of Battle Creek, Excellence in Communication – Binda Award
Workforce Development Awards
- Alex Goodman, of Marshall, Breaking Traditions Graduate
Business & Information Technology
- Christopher Conklin, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Business Management Graduate
- Kaitlyn Warsop, of Tekonsha, Outstanding Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Technology Graduate
- Ilan Khilevich, of Gobles, Outstanding Computer Engineering Technology Graduate
- Lauren Garrison, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Graphic Design Graduate
- Ondrea Miller, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Medical Assistant Graduate
- Maria Calderon, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Office Information Technology Graduate
- Jessica Petto, of Delton, Outstanding Dental Hygiene Graduate
- Joshua Palmer, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Magnetic Resonance Imaging Graduate
- Darren Langford, of Marshall, Outstanding Physical Therapist Assistant Graduate
- Brianna Chaffin, of Athens, Outstanding Radiography Graduate
- Tanesha Prather, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Associate Degree Full-Time Nursing Graduate
- Brandy Pierce, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Associate Degree Part-Time Nursing Graduate
Industrial Skilled Trades
- William Pedersen, of Richland, Outstanding Industrial Trades Student
Public Safety Education
- Dalton Shaffer, of Bellevue, Outstanding Criminal Justice Graduate
- Olivia Rushmore, of Bellevue, Outstanding Emergency Medical Services Student
STUDENT & COMMUNITY SERVICES DIVISION AWARDS
- Alexys Clark, of Quincy, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Monica Feldpausch, of Hastings, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Elissa Ferris, of Battle Creek, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Jodi Inman, of Marshall, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Zaire Gilbert, of Battle Creek, Catalyst Award
- Madelyn Moore, of Homer, Emerging Leader Award
- Jade Klon, of Battle Creek, Golden Hammer Award
- Eve Hibbard, of East Leroy, Level Up Award
- “Murder Among the Mateys,” presented by Emma Hamilton, of Colon; Hunter Hamrick, of Homer; Lydia Holbrook, of Marshall; Ella Smith, of Battle Creek; and Kahrynn Thomas, of East Lansing; Encore Theatre Club, Program of the Year Award
- Grace Hall, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Female Scholar Athlete Award
- Tate Peterson, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Male Scholar Athlete Award
- Pernell Gibson, of Battle Creek, Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year
- Emma Hamilton, of Colon; Hunter Hamrick, of Homer; Lydia Holbrook, of Marshall; Ella Smith, of Battle Creek; and Kahrynn Thomas, of East Lansing; Encore Theatre Club, Registered Student Organization of the Year
- Elissa Ferris, of Battle Creek, Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year
OUTSTANDING GRADUATE AWARDS
- Brittney Sammons, of Tekonsha, Outstanding Arts & Sciences Graduate – Part-Time Student
- Joseph Zylla, of Springfield, Outstanding Arts & Sciences Graduate – Full-Time Student
- Brandy Pierce, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Workforce Development Division Graduate – Part-Time Student
- Jessica Petto, of Delton, Outstanding Workforce Development Division Graduate – Full-Time Student
- Monica Feldpausch, of Hastings, Outstanding Student & Community Services Division Graduate – Trailblazer Award
Photo by Krissy Stolz.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at https://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.