Dual enrollment Q&A: Lakeview senior Lovepreet Kaur

Lovepreet Kaur

By high school graduation, 17-year-old Lakeview High School senior Lovepreet Kaur will have earned more than 20 college credits at Kellogg Community College. That’s thanks to high school dual enrollment opportunities that allow high school students to take college classes at KCC for credit while still in high school.

Below, Kaur answers some questions about her dual enrollment experience and offers advice for future dual enrolled high school students. Note: This interview was conducted during the Fall 2022 semester.

What classes are you currently taking at KCC?

This semester I am taking Physical Geography (GEOG 100).

What is your major or goal for after KCC? What career do you want to go into?

I plan to transfer to the University of Michigan to complete my undergraduate degree. My major is still undecided, but I know I want it to be related to biology. From there on I plan to apply to Michigan’s medical school and compete to get into their dermatology program.

Why did you decide to dual enroll at KCC while in high school?

I decided to dual enroll because the Michigan Transfer Agreement (MTA) had caught my attention. It provided me with a head start for college and saved me money on prerequisite classes.

What has been your favorite class at KCC and why?

My favorite class has been Encounter with the Arts (HUMA 151). This class was very submerging into all different types of art. I am not very artistic, but learning about specifics was interesting.

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned at KCC?

The way college functions. With high school it is a lot of hand holding. But with KCC I had to guide myself and realize everything was on me. This is going to definitely help me my first year in university considering I now know how the majority of professors function.

What advice do you have for future dual enrolled high school students?

If you plan on transferring out from KCC, make sure you do your research on what credits transfer to the college or university you plan to go to. Some universities do not accept specific class credits. Meaning majority of what you do can be for nothing.

The first spring semester classes at KCC begin Jan. 17High school students interested in dual enrolling at KCC this winter and spring should contact their high school counselor today for more information.