Kellogg Community College is pleased to announce the recipients of KCC’s annual Outstanding Bruin Awards, recognizing the College’s top students for outstanding achievement in their field of study and extracurricular activities.
Outstanding Bruin Award winners were recognized during an awards ceremony on campus on April 26. This year’s award winners are listed below.
To qualify for an academic Outstanding Bruin Award, students must major or exhibit interest in their award area; earn a specified GPA in their award area; evidence significant growth; and exhibit a high degree of participation in and/or contributions to the department activities in one or more capacities.
Awards are also given to the overall outstanding full- and part-time graduates in each of the College’s two academic divisions: Workforce Development and Arts & Sciences. Winners are selected by faculty and administrators from the department that corresponds with each award.
In addition to academic departmental awards, the Student & Community Services Division awards the following:
- Catalyst Award: The Catalyst Award honors a student who has sparked positive change at the College and is deeply engaged in campus activities such as Student Life programs, athletic events and/or volunteering at College events. The winner is very school spirited and has a never-ending bucket of positivity.
- Emerging Leader Award: The Emerging Leader Award recognizes a first-year student who demonstrates promising leadership talent and has exhibited initiative on campus through engaging in campus activities.
- Golden Hammer Award: The Golden Hammer Award honors a student that has faced many obstacles and barriers but always finds a way to persist onward. This student is resilient and known for busting barriers.
- Level Up Award: The Level Up Award recognizes a student employee at KCC who has demonstrated significant personal growth while excelling in their job at the College. This type of personal growth and on-the-job excellence is what will help this student “level up” professionally.
- Program of the Year Award: The Program of the Year Award recognizes an event, project or program planned during the academic year that has had a positive impact on students.
- Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year Award is given to an advisor nominated by their students. Advisors have made outstanding contributions to the success and development of the organization as well as its individual student members.
- Registered Student Organization of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization of the Year Award recognizes an organization that stands out among other student organizations based on its programming, spirit and overall contributions to the College.
- Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award: The Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year Award recognizes a student RSO officer who stands out from other officers through leadership and going above and beyond the scope of their position, often handling the “in between” tasks that do not align with any specific position.
- Trailblazer Award: The Trailblazer Award highlights a pioneer, someone who has blazed a trail and forged a path for other current and future KCC students. This student is highly engaged on campus and demonstrates leadership and positivity. They have made meaningful contributions to the student and surrounding community through responsible leadership, have held a leadership position within a College-affiliated organization or department and must have been enrolled during this academic year with a 2.5 GPA or higher.
INSTRUCTIONAL DIVISION AWARDS
Arts & Sciences Awards
Arts & Communication
- Kate Banks, of Burlington, Excellence in Art – Binda Award
- Rik Guenther, of Battle Creek, Excellence in Communication – Binda Award
- Zach Franklin, of Hastings, Excellence in Music – Binda Award
- Ella Smith, of Battle Creek, Excellence in Theatre – Binda Award
- Hanna Nichols, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Art
- Allison Reed, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Communication
- Rik Guenther, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in English
- Zoe Wawrzyniak, of Vermontville, Outstanding Graphic Design Graduate
- Chifumi Tsukagoshi, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Music
- Michelle Silverman, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Photography & Multimedia
Early Childhood & Teacher Education
- Kelsey Ward, of Kalamazoo, Outstanding Early Childhood Education Program Graduate
- Linda Young, of Marshall, Outstanding Education Major Graduate
Math & Science
- Blake Allen, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Biology
- Marie McKinney, of Portland, Outstanding Achievement in Chemistry
- Amanda Reed, of Hastings, Outstanding Achievement in Mathematics
- Christian Hill, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Achievement in Physics
- Beverly Griggs, of Coldwater, Service-Learning Commitment Award
Social Science & Human Services
- Katherine Courtney, of Union City, Outstanding Human Services Program Graduate
- Hayden Schaub, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Student in Social Sciences
Workforce Development Awards
Business, Information Technology & Public Safety Education
- Rosemarie William, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Business Management Graduate
- Jacob Pestun, of Bellevue, Outstanding Computer-Aided Drafting and Design Technology Graduate
- Aaron Schmucker, of Bronson, Outstanding Computer Engineering Technology Graduate
- Jennifer Ogden, of Bellevue, Outstanding Criminal Justice Graduate
- Amy Katz, of Union City, Outstanding Office Information Technology Graduate
- Sydney Nystrom, of Kalamazoo, Outstanding Dental Hygiene Graduate
- Madison Lloyd, of Kalamazoo, Outstanding Emergency Medical Services Student
- Lindsay Noble, of Kalamazoo, Outstanding Magnetic Resonance Imaging Graduate
- Molly Blasen, of Kalamazoo, Outstanding Physical Therapist Assistant Graduate
- Zaire Gilbert, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Industrial Skilled Trades Student
- Emily Branca, of Grand Rapids, Outstanding Associate Degree Full-Time Nursing Graduate
- Leslie Goodlock, of Hillsdale, Outstanding Associate Degree Part-Time Nursing Graduate
STUDENT & COMMUNITY SERVICES DIVISION AWARDS
- Raylene Bosier, of Delton, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Brent Runyon, of Tekonsha, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Ella Smith, of Battle Creek, All-Michigan Academic Team
- Tania Reese, of Battle Creek, Catalyst Award
- Zoe Gibbs, of Kalamazoo, Emerging Leader Award
- Amie Hinton, of Marshall, Golden Hammer Award
- Yuliana Magana, of Battle Creek, Level Up Award
- Isabela Liebana, of Battle Creek, International Education Week, Program of the Year Award
- Allison Biergeder, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Female Scholar Athlete Award
- Kane Elmy, of Springfield, Outstanding Male Scholar Athlete Award
- Rebekah Love, of Battle Creek, Registered Student Organization Advisor of the Year
- Andy Hull, of Union City; Jade Klon, of Battle Creek; Elijah Reed, of Hastings; and Griffin Ward, of Marshall; Spectrum, Registered Student Organization of the Year
- Cortnie Cook, of Allegan, Student Nursing Organization, Registered Student Organization Officer of the Year
OUTSTANDING GRADUATE AWARDS
- Beverly Griggs, of Coldwater, Outstanding Arts & Sciences Graduate – Part-Time Student
- Kelsey Ward, of Kalamazoo, Outstanding Arts & Sciences Graduate – Full-Time Student
- Rosemarie William, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Workforce Development Division Graduate – Part-Time Student
- Sydney Nystrom, of Kalamazoo, Outstanding Workforce Development Division Graduate – Full-Time Student
- Ella Smith, of Battle Creek, Outstanding Student & Community Services Division Graduate – Trailblazer Award
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at https://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.