When the fall semester begins Thursday, Kellogg Community College will offer several courses at the former Crowell School in Albion.
Classroom space is full at KCC’s Eastern Academic Center, located just outside of Albion in Sheridan Township, and the college needs additional classrooms to keep pace with local students’ needs.
By leasing two classrooms and office space at Crowell School, KCC instructors will continue to teach a variety of classes for students in the Albion area. Currently, the EAC serves about 250 college students each semester.
The need for additional space comes in part because of a relationship with the Marshall Alternative High School, which last year began holding classes daily at the EAC. Of the 103 high school students who attended last year, about 30 percent also took KCC classes to earn college credits while satisfying high school requirements.
“We are pleased to expand opportunities for students in the Albion area, whether they’re alternative high school students at the EAC or college students at Crowell School,” said Dennis Bona, president of KCC.
Colin McCaleb, director of the EAC, said the college’s presence at Crowell School represents a commitment by KCC to making class locations even more convenient for students in Albion.
“It allows us to expand our offerings because we offer KCC classes in the EAC during the day for the high school students alongside the regular KCC students, plus we have additional KCC classes at the Crowell School,” McCaleb said.
Classes offered this fall at Crowell School include:
- Psychology 201, Introduction to Psychology, Tuesday and Thursday, 9-10:20 a.m., 8/30-12/13.
- Sociology 201, Introduction to Sociology, Tuesday and Thursday, 10:30-11:50 a.m., 8/30-12/13.
- Physical Education 121, Healthy Lifestyles Practices, Tuesday and Thursday, 12:30-1:40 p.m., 9/18-12/11.
- English 152, Freshman Composition Two, Tuesday, 12:00p.m.-3:15 p.m., 9/11 to 12/11.
- Transitional Studies English 65, Basic Writing, Thursday, 12-3 p.m., 8/30-12/13.
- Transitional Studies Reading 55, College Study Skills, Friday, 11 a.m.-2:15 p.m., 9/7 to 12/14.
For more information about Kellogg Community College’s Eastern Academic Center, visit www.kellogg.edu/regional/eac.