Q&A with KCC Radiography student Walter Hamilton

Walter Hamilton

The deadline to apply for KCC’s Radiography Program is Thursday, May 23! See details, application materials and more at kellogg.edu/radi-admissions.

Kellogg Community College Radiography student Walter Hamilton, 27, graduated from Portage Central High School in 2015. Hamilton, an imaging tech assistant at Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo, is attending KCC thanks to the Michigan Reconnect program and plans to graduate from the Radiography Program this spring.

Why did you choose to study Radiography?

My mother pursued this degree and after talking with her about what she valued in her work and why she enjoys her career. I found it meets many of my same values of how I like to work and what I enjoy doing.

Why did you choose to study Radiography specifically at KCC?

I know a few radiologic technologists that work at Ascension Borgess Hospital who recommended this program to me.

What’s been your favorite part of your time at KCC, and why?

I think KCC is a great institution with regards to the resources that are available to students and how willing the faculty is to engage with students and help them achieve their goals. I have enjoyed learning from all my professors and whenever I needed help from any department, whether it be Financial Aid, the Registrar’s Office, Career Services or Academic Advising, the process has always been streamlined. I genuinely feel that the professionals I have worked with were happy to help me achieve my goals. I have attended other institutions of higher education and not received the same service or enthusiasm for education from my proctors.

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned at KCC?

As a Radiography student, I am an anatomy and physiology geek. I really enjoyed learning about how our body’s form is dictated by the function that it performs. Learning about how each system in the human body works and interacts together to make life possible was interesting and engaging for me.

What is your goal for after you graduate from KCC? What do you hope to do for a career?

I want to work as a radiologic technologist for Bronson Methodist Hospital. I feel I can gain great career experience there as they are a Level 1 Trauma Center, and I would be working with the widest variety of patients.

What advice do you have for current or future KCC students?

I would advise prospective students to seriously consider the college, as I really have enjoyed my experience here. I would especially encourage pursuit of an Allied Health degree, as I feel that the Radiography Program has been very focused on applicable information for my career in addition to giving me the hands-on experience I need to be a confident professional.

Anything else you’d like to say?

If you are considering a career in radiography, I would highly recommend KCC’s program as you will be provided all the opportunities necessary to develop a strong skill set and become a confident, professional radiographer.

Learn more about KCC’s Radiography Program at kellogg.edu/radi.