Taylor Mohney discusses her role as Mollie in ‘The Mousetrap’

Taylor Mohney will play the role of Mollie Ralston in Kellogg Community College’s fall production of Agatha Christie’s classic murder-mystery “The Mousetrap,” which will run Oct. 18-21 in the Binda Theatre on KCC’s North Avenue campus.

Below, Mohney discusses her role in the play in the first of our interviews with the cast, which we’ll be rolling out in the next few days leading up to opening night.

The KCC Daily: Tell us about your role. What drew you to your character?

Taylor Mohney: I play Mollie Ralston. Before the curtain rises, Mollie and her husband Giles have inherited the Monkswell Manor from her late aunt and have converted the house into a sort of “bed and breakfast.” The audience will meet Mollie just before the first few guests arrive.

What has really drawn me to Mollie is how realistic she is. All the characters involved are. She is so genuine and sympathetic. But what’s been really intriguing for me has been the exploration of her past and how she may or may not allow her history to affect her throughout the events that occur on the stage.

KCC: What are some of the roles you played in the past and how is your current role different or similar? Are there aspects of this role that are particularly challenging as compared to your previous roles?

TM: This is my first stage role since high school. I’m so excited to be trusted with a role like this by Brad (Poer, the director) and Chance (Loman, the stage manager). My role as Mollie is definitely my most challenging yet. The challenge with Mollie is really tapping into the raw emotions, interactions and reactions as the story unfolds. It’s a really motivational and exciting challenge for sure!

KCC: What about this performing in this role are you particularly excited or nervous about?

TM: I’m super excited to experience the show differently with each audience and share this classic with our community!

KCC: Who or what influences or motivates you in this role? In your acting in general?

TM: I “grew up” in the theatre world under the direction of a man known as KG. He continues to remind me that “there are no small parts, only small actors.” Though this show is no small feat for any of the cast, his advice to make strong, confident choices has motivated me, not only as an actress, but as a person.

KCC: What should people know before seeing this play? What can people do before seeing this play that you feel might enhance their experience?

TM: My only advice before seeing this play is to come to the show with an open mind. This is a murder-mystery, and it is Agatha Christie, so be ready for anything!

“The Mousetrap” will play at 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 18, through Saturday, Oct. 20, and at 3 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 21. Tickets are $5 for students and senior citizens and $10 for members of the general public. They will be available at the door or can be reserved by calling 269-965-4154.

For more information about the Theatre Program at Kellogg Community College, visit www.kellogg.edu/performart/theatre/index.html.