Students from Kellogg Community College’s Opera/Musical Theatre Workshop will perform nearly a dozen scenes from popular operas or musicals as part of their “Opera Meets Broadway, Part 2: Get Your Diva On” presentation at 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 12, at the college’s Binda Theatre, 450 North Ave., Battle Creek.
The event is free and open to the public, and a freewill offering will be taken during the event to support musical initiatives at KCC.
Dr. Gerald Blanchard, vocal music professor at KCC and director of the production, said the event serves as a finals project for the 25 students who will be performing and who worked exceptionally hard to learn the staging, history and music of their respective pieces.
“The music will vary widely in style, range, period and genre,” Blanchard said. “There will be something for everyone in attendance.”
Fans of opera will enjoy scenes from greats like “The Marriage of Figaro” and “The Magic Flute,” Blanchard said, while those who lean more toward musical theater will enjoy scenes adapted from productions like “Wicked,” “Into the Woods” and “Chess.”
Scenes included in the presentation will include:
- “Art is Calling for Me,” from the operetta “The Enchantress” by Victor Herbert, to be performed by soloist Shannon Egan
- “Ah, Belinda,” from the opera “Dido and Aeneas” by Henry Purcell, to be performed by soloist Jan Emery and a chorus
- “It Takes Two,” from the Broadway musical “Into the Woods” by Stephen Sondheim, to be performed by soloists Kayla McCarthy and DeQuan Perry, Jr.
- “Three Little Maids,” from the operetta “Mikado” by Gilbert and Sullivan, to be performed by soloists Shannon Egan, Jan Emery and Shanna Anderson
- “As Long as You’re Mine,” from the Broadway musical “Wicked” by Stephen Schwartz, to be performed by soloists Elena Hensel and DeQuan Perry, Jr.
- “Ah, I Feel,” from the opera “The Magic Flute” by W.A. Mozart, to be performed by soloist Shannon Egan
- “In this World of Fashion,” from the operetta “The Fortune Teller” by Victor Herbert, to be performed by soloist Jan Emery
- “Voi che sapete,” from the opera “Le Nozze di Figaro” by W. A. Mozart, to be performed by soloist Elena Hensel
- “Anthem,” from the musical “Chess” by Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus, formerly of ABBA, and with lyrics by Tim Rice, to be performed by soloist DeQuan Perry, Jr.
- “Giovani liete, fiori spargete,” from the opera “Le Nozze di Figaro” by W.A. Mozart, to be performed by the Opera Chorus
The evening will include lighting by Theatre Manager Teresa Peet and musical accompaniment by Paula Krontz-Harris.
For more information about vocal arts at Kellogg Community College, contact the college’s Arts and Communication offices at 269-565-7859 or visit www.kellogg.edu/performart.