Kellogg Community College has signed eight high school seniors to play college baseball for the Bruins beginning next season, including right-handed pitcher Joseph Stasa, of Battle Creek.
Stasa, a senior at Harper Creek High School, earned first-team all-conference and all-district honors as a sophomore and junior and all-region honors his junior year. In 2014, Stasa had an O.85 ERA, striking out 82 batters over 58.2 innings pitched. He also hit .442 from the plate with 30 RBIs.
Eric Laskovy, head baseball coach at KCC, said the College is thrilled that the hometown athlete chose to stay close to home and play for the Bruins next season.
“Joe has been a force in the city since he was a sophomore,” Laskovy said. “He’s a competitor and will be ready to help us immediately.”
Other KCC baseball commits for next season include:
- Connor Adams, a left-handed pitcher from Noblesville, Ind./Noblesville High School
- Christopher Clark, a catcher from Caledonia/Caledonia High School
- Joby Kawaski, a left-handed pitcher from Decatur/Decatur High School
- Cooper Marshall, a shortstop/outfielder from Traverse City/Traverse City Central High School
- Brendan Merians, an outfielder from Howell/Howell High School
- Joseph Nate, a first-baseman/left-handed pitcher from Stevensville/Stevensville Lakeshore High School
- Cole Sanderson, a right-handed pitcher from Macomb/Dakota High School
KCC’s Bruins finished second in the National Junior College Athletic Association regional tournament last spring after finishing third in the Michigan Community College Athletic Association with a 17-9 conference record. The team also finished the 2013-14 season with a 3.28 team GPA – tied for the 10th highest out of more than 400 NJCAA baseball teams in the nation.
Additionally, as of the end of February, five sophomores on KCC’s current roster had committed to play baseball at four-year schools beginning next fall, a number Laskovy said he expects to increase though the season. Twenty-one Bruins committed to play at four-years over the past two seasons.
Pictured in the above photo are, front row, left to right, Merians, Nate, Marshall and Kawasaki; and back row, left to right, Associate Head Coach Jim Miller, Stasa, Clark and Head Coach Laskovy.
For more information about baseball at KCC or to sign up for an email list to receive final scores following each Bruins baseball game, visit www.kellogg.edu/baseball or contact Coach Laskovy at email@example.com or 269-965-3931 ext. 2536.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest news releases online at daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.