Kellogg Community College is adding three new introductory level classes to its English Language Learning class offerings beginning in January.
KCC launched a series of intermediate and advanced English Language Learning classes this fall for individuals interested in enhancing their English language skills. The new introductory level classes expand ELL offerings across each of the categories covered, including reading and writing; grammar and communication; and speaking and listening.
Each English Language Learning class is worth four credits and runs Mondays through Thursdays from Jan. 22 through May 6. Classes offered include:
- ELL 73: Introductory Reading and Writing, 4 to 5 p.m.
- ELL 74: Introductory Grammar and Communication, 5:10 to 6:10 p.m.
- ELL 75: Introductory Speaking and Listening, 6:20 to 7:20 p.m.
- ELL 83: Intermediate Reading and Writing, 12:30 to 1:30 p.m.
- ELL 84: Intermediate Grammar and Communication, 1:40 to 2:40 p.m.
- ELL 85: Intermediate Speaking and Listening, 2:50 to 3:50 p.m.
- ELL 93: Advanced Reading and Writing, 8:30 to 9:30 a.m.
- ELL 94: Advanced Grammar and Communication, 9:40 to 10:40 a.m.
- ELL 95: Advanced Speaking and Listening, 10:50 to 11:50 a.m.
All classes will be held on campus at 450 North Avenue in Battle Creek.
KCC English professor Elyse Jozlin, who teaches many of the classes, said ELL students build a strong foundation in the English language that prepares them for future KCC coursework and university curriculum.
ELL classes “open the door for students,” Jozlin said.
“The classes offer a great way for students to immerse themselves in the English language, and students who complete theses classes will be much more comfortable with their college content,” Jozlin said.
Signing Up for ELL Classes
Students interested in signing up for ELL classes should complete the following steps:
- Apply for admission to KCC. This can be done online at www.kellogg.edu/step1. For assistance, contact KCC’s Admissions office at 269-965-4153 or firstname.lastname@example.org or visit the Hub on KCC’s North Avenue campus.
- Take the Accuplacer ESL exam. The results of the Accuplacer ESL exam will determine the level of coursework the individual student should enroll in. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact KCC’s Testing & Assessment Center at 269-965-4136 or email@example.com. Walk-in testing is available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and by appointment Fridays, and a government- or school-issued photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, passport, high school, college or military ID) is required to test. For more information, visit www.kellogg.edu/placement.
Scholarship opportunities may be available for students who need financial assistance. For information about student scholarships, contact the KCC Foundation at 269-965-4161 or visit www.kellogg.edu/student-scholarships.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at https://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.