Nursing grad Crystabel Banda says KCC prepared her to help patients in the age of COVID-19: “KCC produces best nurses and I’m glad to be one of them”

Nursing student Crystabel Banda poses in a Nursing Lab at KCC.

Crystabel Tisa Banda graduated from the Kellogg Community College Nursing Program in 2019 and today works full-time as a registered nurse in the Neurology and Orthopedic Unit at Ascension Borgess Hospital in Kalamazoo. She also works PRN (as needed) at Evergreen Senior Care & Rehab Center in Battle Creek.

Banda, pictured above as a student in 2017, is one of the thousands of KCC Nursing graduates — and even current students now called to the field — who are relying on their KCC training as they work during the unprecedented challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Banda said it’s been a challenging time to work as a nurse and even a little scary. While she hasn’t worked directly with positive COVID-19 patients, she said both of her employers have gone above and beyond to prepare their staff and provide the necessary equipment and resources required to serve their patients at this time.

“We get daily updates which I find helpful. Also my faith/religion has helped me a lot through this tough time,” Banda said. “I know without a doubt that I’m protected by God’s hand, and this always gives me strength to go to work without any fear.”

Banda said the training and education she received in the KCC Nursing Program adequately prepared her for the job, and that the knowledge she has as a new graduate and the experiences she has at work continue to help her grow as a nurse.

“I’ll always be thankful to all my KCC nursing professors and other staff members that contributed to my success,” Banda said. “Nursing school was not easy, but I had an amazing time and will forever be grateful.”

She hopes she can pay some of her gratitude forward by being the best nurse she can be, and is inspired by meeting other KCC Nursing alumni who are also doing great work in the field.

Her advice for current or prospective KCC Nursing students?

“The Nursing Program, just like any other degree, is not easy, but it is doable and attainable and KCC is the best place to get it from,” she said.

You can do it, she said, just focus and it will be worth it.

“KCC produces best nurses and I’m glad to be one of them.”

Become a Nurse at KCC

If you want a flexible, in-demand career helping people and making a difference every day, nursing may be the career for you. Applications for KCC’s Full-Time and Part-Time Nursing programs are available now. Visit www.kellogg.edu/nursing for more information.