Scholarship recipient Q&A: Radiography student Madison Chamberlain

Madison Chamberlain

Kellogg Community College Foundation Board of Trustees Scholarship recipient Madison Chamberlain graduated from Homer Community High School in 2020 and is studying radiography at KCC with the goal of becoming a radiographer.

Below, Chamberlain answers some questions about her experiences as a student at KCC and specifically as a Board of Trustees Scholarship recipient.

What does being a Board of Trustees Scholar mean to you?

Being a Board of Trustees Scholar means so much to me! Throughout the past year and a half it has helped me pay for my tuition tremendously and I’ve had the opportunity to help within the community and meet awesome people.

What is your favorite thing about the Board of Trustees Scholarship program?

My favorite thing about the Board of Trustee Scholarship program is that you get $3,500 a year, which is split between the two semesters, and it gets you super involved within the community. It has definitely brought me out of my comfort zone with some activities. 

What is something you learned from your scholarship program leadership, enrichment or service activities?

Something that I’ve learned from my scholarship program and/or service activities is that helping others out gives you such a warm feeling. And not everyone gets these opportunities, so I’m very grateful to have been given them!

What is one thing you learned about yourself through your development activities as a Board of Trustees Scholar?

One thing that I learned about myself through my development activites is that I am more powerful than I ever thought. Having to go out of my comfort zone and putting myself out there during some of these activites has brought me to who I am now. 

What is a special memory or experience you’ve had that wouldn’t have happened if not for the Board of Trustees Scholarship program?

A memory that I wouldn’t have gotten to experience if not for the Board of Trustee Scholarship would have to be doing group activities with the other scholars and getting the opportunity to meet (former Student Life Manager) Drew Hutchinson. He was awesome and helped me get through some hard times and most importantly was always there for us and never gave up! I didn’t experience most of the fun and exciting activities because of COVID, but that made it different from all the past years. 

What do you ultimately want to do for a career, and why did you choose that profession?

I want to become a radiographer. That is my main goal. I am currently in the Radiography Program at KCC and have such a strong strive towards the X-ray work and the anatomy behind it all. I chose this profession because it’s enjoyable for me. I’ve always told myself to get a job that is fun, enjoyable, challenging and not sitting around all day, and I have found just that. This career path keeps you on your toes and you learn something new everyday. 

KCC Foundation scholarship applications for new, returning and graduating KCC students are available now and can be completed entirely online for free. Visit kellogg.edu/kccscholarships for links to scholarship applications and more information about scholarships for KCC students.

The photo of Chamberlain above is courtesy of Jasmine McMaster.