Dual enrollment Q&A: Lakeview senior Emily Hughes

Emily Hughes

Seventeen-year-old Lakeview High School senior Emily Hughes is earning college credits at Kellogg Community College thanks to high school dual enrollment opportunities that allow high school students to take college classes at KCC for credit while still in high school.

Below, Hughes answers some questions about her dual enrollment experience and offers advice for future dual enrolled high school students. Note: This interview was conducted during the Fall 2022 semester.

What classes are you currently taking at KCC?

Intro to Communications.

What is your major or goal for after KCC? What career do you want to go into?

After high school I am planning on going to a four-year university to pursue a degree in nursing.

Why did you decide to dual enroll at KCC while in high school?

I decided to dual enroll through KCC while in high school to earn college credits and further challenge myself.

What has been your favorite class at KCC and why?

My favorite class that I have taken so far is Intro to Comm.

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned at KCC?

The most interesting thing I have learned is how many different types of communication there are. I had no idea so many forms existed.

What advice do you have for future dual enrolled high school students?

Advice I have for future dual enrolled students is to take as many classes as you can fit into your schedule. It is a great way to get ahead for college while still in high school.

The first spring semester classes at KCC begin Jan. 17High school students interested in dual enrolling at KCC this winter and spring should contact their high school counselor today for more information.