Student Q&A with Business Management student Ella Smith

Ella Smith

Ella Smith, 18, of Battle Creek, is a 2021 home-school graduate studying Business Management at Kellogg Community College. A familiar face on campus, Smith is an extremely active member of the KCC community. She’s president of the Encore Theatre Club, vice president of the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, a member of the Kampus Activities Board and is a former editor of the Bruin News, KCC’s student newspaper. A KCC Foundation Gold Key Scholar, Smith is also a member of the KCC Honors Program and is a student worker in the Student Life Office and Binda Performing Arts Center.

Below, Smith answers some questions about her experience at KCC.

Why did you choose to study Business Management?

I chose to get my undergraduate degree in Business for many reasons. A Business Management degree will prepare me for all sorts of career opportunities. This degree also lays a solid foundation for many jobs and further education, which I do plan to pursue.

Why did you choose to study Business Management specifically at KCC?

I have always valued community very highly. Even before I was a student, it was evident to me that KCC was dedicated to providing students the opportunity to make really amazing things happen, both on campus and in the community as a whole. Additionally, KCC offers many degree programs and different methods to earn a degree, which has given me the autonomy to get an education in a way that best fits into my life.

What’s been your favorite part of your time at KCC, and why?

My favorite part of KCC is wholeheartedly the clubs and events in which I have had the opportunity to participate. Being an officer of multiple clubs has been such a fulfilling and challenging experience. I have had so much fun working with other students to create a welcoming community and exciting programs.

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned at KCC?

I have had the opportunity and resources available to spend my last two semesters researching a topic that I find fascinating: the effects of student engagement on academic success, and how COVID-19 impacted this engagement. This is the topic I will be covering in my Honors Capstone project, and there have been so many people here at KCC who have helped me to dig into it.

What is your goal for after you graduate from KCC? What do you hope to do for a career?

I plan to transfer to Western Michigan University to obtain my bachelor’s degree in Business Law. Then I will be moving on to get my master’s degree in Higher Education Administration. I plan to pursue a career in Student Life/Activities in higher education. I have loved working in the Student Life Office here at KCC, and have found a real passion for student engagement in higher education institutions.

What advice do you have for current or future KCC students?

My advice for KCC students is to take advantage of all of the opportunities here! KCC is full of fun events, clubs for every interest, and helpful faculty. I would tell current and future students to just reach out and find what makes them excited to be a part of KCC.

Anything else you’d like to say?

I would just like to say thank you to all of the amazing professors, staff and faculty that I’ve met here at KCC. My time here has helped me to grow tremendously, both academically and personally. Through the support of the amazing people at KCC, I have gained so many opportunities for my future. Go Bruins!

This article first appeared in the March 2023 edition of BruIN magazine. To read the issue online visit kellogg.edu/bruinmagazine.