Kellogg Community College recognized student artists with awards this month during a reception honoring outstanding work exhibited as part of the College’s Annual Student Art Exhibition.
The exhibit, featuring 130 works from more than 50 student artists, will be displayed at the Eleanor R. and Robert A. DeVries Gallery in KCC’s Davidson Visual and Performing Arts Center through April 29 and can be viewed online at rosep9.wixsite.com/kccstudentartexhibit. Award winners were announced during an awards ceremony April 21 at the center.
Every spring, KCC Art, Photography and Multimedia and Graphic Design program students from the current academic year are invited to submit up to four entries for consideration for Student Art Exhibition awards. A faculty committee reviews and organizes all submissions and the bulk of the work is juried independently by an art professional chosen from outside of the College. The juror (or jurors) selects the major media category awards and honorable mentions, with cash prizes made possible through a generous donation made to the KCC Foundation by artist Kimiko Petersen and her husband Sherman Petersen.
Awards listed below include these Kimiko Petersen Fine Art Awards – including one Best of Show ($250), five Best of Media ($100) and 13 Honorable Mention awards ($50 each) distributed across categories at the juror’s discretion – as well as additional miscellaneous arts awards.
Kimiko Petersen Fine Art Award winners this year were selected by juror artist Joanna Learner.
KIMIKO PETERSEN FINE ART AWARDS
$1,400 total awards, selected by juror
Best of Show
- Reva Oberlin, of Springfield, “While the World Is Asleep” (digital composite photography)
2D Fine Art
- Best of 2D Fine Art: Brianna VanValkenburg, of Battle Creek, “Veiled Serenity” (watercolor painting)
- Honorable Mention Drawing: Amanda Frisch, of Reading, “A Manicure”
- Honorable Mention Painting: Bev Griggs, of Coldwater, “The Red Dazzler”
3D Fine Art
- Best of 3D Fine Art: Colleen Ewing, of Marshall, “The Shattered Sentinel” (ceramics)
- Honorable Mention Ceramics: Heather Guenther, of Battle Creek, “Slab Build Canister Set”
- Honorable Mention Sculpture and 3D Mixed Media: Gage Mingus, of Battle Creek, “21 Mile Road & R Drive” (digital composite photography)
- Best of Photography: Harlee Madalyn, of Battle Creek, “Windy City” (digital photography)
- Honorable Mention Alternative Photography Print Process: Lydia Holbrook, of Marshall, “Wispy Skies”
- Honorable Mention Black and White Photography: Joshua Earl, of Battle Creek, “In the Spotlight”
- Honorable Mention Digital Composite Photography: Duncan Stewart, of Battle Creek, “Autumnal Still Life”
- Honorable Mention Digital Photography: Clara Lowe, of Albion, “Diptych #1 Letchworth”
- Honorable Mention Digital Photography: Rowen Talmage, of Battle Creek, “WC7”
- Honorable Mention Digital Photography: Rowen Talmage, of Battle Creek, “On the Other Side”
- Best of Digital Design: Zoe Wawrzyniak, of Vermontville, “Gig Poster” (graphic design)
- Honorable Mention Digital Illustration: Alex Bolhuis, of Galesburg, “The Eye”
- Honorable Mention Graphic Design: Gage McCrimmon, of Olivet, “Tropidelic Poster”
Time-Based Digital Media
- Best of Time-Based Digital Media: Joshua Earl, of Battle Creek; Lydia Holbrook, of Marshall; and Clara Lowe, of Albion; “Nightmare” (video)
- Honorable Mention Animation: Jaelin Ramsey, of Battle Creek, “King Jewelers”
In addition to the above art exhibit awards, the following students were recognized during the awards ceremony with the respective awards.
- Art League Excellence Award: Abigale Keown, of Battle Creek
- Arts & Communication Outstanding Achievement in Art: Hanna Nichols, of Battle Creek
- Arts & Communication Outstanding Achievement in Photography & Multimedia: Michelle Silverman, of Battle Creek
- Battle Creek Society of Artists Scholarship ($500 for one semester): Megan Brower, of Battle Creek
- Bryan R. Thomas Memorial Scholarship ($1,000 for one semester): Rachael Mueller, of Bellevue
- Excellence in Art – Binda Award: Kathryn Banks, of Burlington
- Graphic Design Scholarship ($500): Amethyst Sands, of Battle Creek
- Instructor Recognition: Ojore Wilson, of Battle Creek
- Mosaic Entry Recognition Awards ($25 each):
- Cover: Amey M. Little, of Quincy
- Cover: Rachael Mueller, of Bellevue
- Cover: Marley Voke, of Battle Creek
- Inside: Joby Purucker, of Battle Creek
- Outstanding Graphic Design Graduate Award: Zoe Wawrzyniak, of Vermontville
For more information about KCC’s student art award winners, contact KCC Graphic Design professor and Art Exhibits Director Penny Rose at 269-565-7961 or email@example.com.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at https://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.