Alumni Q&A with Graphic Design graduate, student athlete and commencement speaker Jaelyn Hampton

Jaelyn Hampton sits in the Graphic Design Lab.

Jaelyn Hampton, 21, of Jackson, is a 2020 graduate of Napoleon High School and a Kellogg Community College Foundation Gold Key Scholar who graduated from KCC in May with an Associate of Applied Science in Graphic Design degree.

Hampton was also the KCC Class of 2023’s commencement speaker — click here to read her commencement remarks — and a women’s basketball and volleyball player at KCC, earning postseason Michigan Community College Athletic Association Academic All-Conference and Academic All-MCCAA honors for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 volleyball seasons. She plans to transfer to Olivet College this fall, where she’ll continue playing volleyball while pursuing further studies in graphic design.

Why did you choose your major/area of study?

I’ve always loved art and being creative. After taking my first graphic design class in high school I knew it would be something I would love to do as a career and something I could succeed at.

Why did you choose to study your major specifically at KCC?

When I visited Kellogg for volleyball I learned about how nice all of the graphic design facilities and faculty were. It was a perfect fit!

What’s been your favorite part of your time at KCC, and why?

All the people I’ve met. I’m so grateful for all of the professors, teammates and coaches I’ve met through KCC. The past few years have had their fair share of ups and downs, but all the people I’ve met have made it all worth it.

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned at KCC?

All of the printing technology available at KCC has been the coolest thing to learn about. All of the work the school is about to create and produce in-house is awesome. I helped put some pieces together for a student event and got a tour of the printing equipment, so that was really cool for me as an art nerd.

What is your goal for after you graduate from KCC? What do you hope to do for a career?

After KCC I will be transferring to Olivet to continue playing volleyball and to finish a four-year degree in graphic design. Once I’m done there, I hope to get some job somewhere. That far into future I’m not entirely sure, but I do know I want to continue working in graphic design and hopefully coach volleyball somewhere down the line. Those are both the things I am the most passionate about.

What advice do you have for current or future KCC students?

Work hard. That’s one of the few things that has gotten me to where I am today. It’s always easier to lay down and give up. But the best things in life are those that require hard work. So never give up!

Anything else you’d like to say?

I was totally caught off guard when I was first asked to speak at graduation, but I am so grateful to have been given this opportunity. It’s definitely one I will never forget. As we like to say, Bru Cru for life!

This article first appeared in the June 2023 edition of BruIN magazine. To read the issue online, please visit kellogg.edu/bruinmagazine.