The National Council for Marketing and Public Relations this week honored Kellogg Community College’s Public Information and Marketing Department with nine Medallion Awards for its efforts to recruit students, connect with the community and promote the College during the 2016-17 academic year.
The awards were announced Oct. 1 during the NCMPR’s District Three awards dinner in Davenport, Iowa. KCC was recognized with awards in the following categories:
- Communication Success Story or Community Relations Campaign (Gold), for KCC’s inaugural Bruin Boo! community Halloween event
- Computer-Generated Illustration (Gold), for the illustration used on materials promoting KCC’s spring musical “Zombie Prom”
- Folder (Gold), for the College’s KCC Financial Aid Scholarship Resources folder
- Notes/Cards/Invitations (Gold), for invitations for the College’s 60th Anniversary Gala
- Annual Report (Silver), for the College’s 2015-16 joint KCC/KCC Foundation Annual Report
- E-Newsletter (Silver), for KCC’s quarterly Employee Wellness Newsletter
- Outdoor Media (Silver), for a fence banner featuring oversized images of KCC students
- Poster (Silver), for a poster promoting the College’s spring musical “Zombie Prom”
- Wild Card (Silver), for a campaign promoting an English class about banned books
Eric Greene, director of Public Information and Marketing at KCC, said the awards validate the department’s marketing expertise and abiding commitment to effective communication within the College and between the College and its audiences.
“Kellogg Community College believes strongly in communicating authentically through words, photos and design the vibrancy of our campus and the value of a community college education,” Greene said. “Because we are so intentional in this work and passionate about education, it’s a special honor for our integrated marketing communication strategies to be recognized by our peers. We are grateful to the NCMPR and its member institutions for these awards.”
KCC’s PIM Department, which provides a variety of in-house marketing, communications, graphic design and public relations services on behalf of the College, won four Medallion Awards in 2012, four in 2013, six in 2014, three in 2015 and eight in 2016. The department also won two prestigious Paragon Awards – national honors bestowed by the NCMPR – in 2013.
Department employees include Kathy Jarvie, media design manager; June Lewis, Print and Document Services staff assistant; Mike Loader, Print and Document Services technician; Rachel Roelof, media design staff assistant; Kristen Stolz, secretary; Simon Thalmann, digital marketing manager; and Eric Greene, director. The PIM Department also employs part-time student workers as an opportunity for KCC students to learn valuable, on-the-job marketing, communication and design skills.
The NCMPR represents marketing and public relations professionals at community and technical colleges across the United States and Canada. District Three of the NCMPR includes schools in Illinois, Indiana, Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin and Ontario. Gold, silver and bronze Medallion and Paragon honors are awarded annually in a variety of marketing and public relations categories.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at http://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.