Individuals interested in enhancing their English language skills can do so while earning college credits in new classes offered at Kellogg Community College for the first time this fall.
KCC’s new intermediate and advanced English Language Learning classes will run Mondays through Thursdays from Sept. 6 through Dec. 13 at the following times:
- ELL 83: Intermediate Reading and Writing, 4 to 5 p.m.
- ELL 84: Intermediate Grammar and Communication, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- ELL 85: Intermediate Speaking and Listening, 7 to 8 p.m.
- ELL 93: Advanced Reading and Writing, 2 to 3 p.m.
- ELL 94: Advanced Grammar and Communication, 3:30 to 4:30 p.m.
- ELL 95: Advanced Speaking and Listening, 5 to 6 p.m.
All classes will be held on campus at 450 North Avenue in Battle Creek. Introductory levels in the same areas will be available beginning January 2019.
KCC English professor Elyse Jozlin, who will be teaching the classes, said ELL students will build a strong foundation in the English language that will prepare them not only for future coursework at KCC, but for university curriculum as well.
ELL classes will “open the door for students,” Jozlin said.
“The goal of these classes is to really prepare students for academic coursework,” she said. “The classes offer a great way for students to immerse themselves in the English language, and students who complete theses classes will be much more comfortable with their college content.”
Signing Up for ELL Classes
Students interested in signing up for ELL classes should complete the following steps:
- Apply for admission to KCC. This can be done online at www.kellogg.edu/step1. For assistance, contact KCC’s Admissions office at 269-965-4153 or email@example.com or visit the Hub on KCC’s North Avenue campus.
- Take the Accuplacer ESL exam. The results of the Accuplacer ESL exam will determine the level of coursework the individual student should enroll in. For more information or to schedule an appointment, contact KCC’s Testing & Assessment Center at 269-965-4136 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Walk-in testing is available from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays through Thursdays and by appointment Fridays, and a government- or school-issued photo ID (driver’s license, state ID, passport, high school, college or military ID) is required to test. For more information, visit www.kellogg.edu/placement.
Scholarship opportunities may be available for students who need financial assistance. For information about student scholarships, contact the KCC Foundation at 269-965-4161 or visit www.kellogg.edu/student-scholarships.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest press releases online at http://daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.