The Kellogg Community College softball team continued its record-breaking season last weekend by securing the program’s first state championship in College history.
The Bruins entered Saturday’s Michigan Community College Athletic Association Softball Tournament as the MCCAA Western Conference Champions and left as the No. 1 team overall in the state after besting Eastern Conference Champion Macomb Community College 5-2. Earlier in the day, the Bruins defeated Eastern Conference Runner-Up Oakland Community College 2-0 in a semi-final.
The latest successes for the team, under the leadership of second-year KCC head coach Darrick Brown, pictured at right, build on accomplishments from what has become a storied season for KCC softball. Last month the team broke the KCC softball record for wins in a single season, then clinched the conference championship, another first for the program; the team has been ranked among the top 20 in the nation since April 22 in the National Junior College Athletic Association’s latest Division II softball polls.
The KCC softball team’s postseason play will continue tomorrow, Wednesday, May 6, through Friday, May 8, as part of the NJCAA’s 2015 Division II Softball District I Championship, held at Abbott Park in East Lansing. The Bruins will take the field beginning at 4 p.m. May 6 in Game 3 of the tournament, playing the winner of Game 1.
To summarize the District Championship schedule:
Wednesday, May 6
- Game 1: Sinclair vs. Lansing, Field 4, 2 p.m.
- Game 2: Muskegon vs. KVCC, Field 3, 2 p.m.
- Game 3: Winner of Game 1 vs. KCC, Field 4, 4 p.m.
- Game 4: Winner of Game 2 vs. Owens, Field 3, 4 p.m.
Thursday, May 7
- Game 5: Loser of Game 2 vs. Loser of Game 3, Field 4, noon
- Game 6: Loser of Game 1 vs. Loser of Game 4, Field 3, noon
- Game 7: Winner of Game 3 vs. Winner of Game 4, Field 3, 2 p.m.
- Game 8: Winner of Game 5 vs. Winner of Game 6, Field 4, 2 p.m.
- Game 9: Winner of Game 8 vs. Loser of Game 7, Field 3, 4 p.m.
Friday, May 8
- Game 10: Winner of Game 7 vs. Winner of Game 9, Field 3, 10 a.m.
- Game 11: Winner of Game 10 vs. Loser of Game 10, Field 3, noon (if necessary)
For a 2015 NJCAA Division II Softball District I Championship bracket, visit www.mccaa.org/d/2014-15/Brackets/15distisbtourn.pdf.
If KCC wins the District Championship, the team will qualify for the 2015 NJCAA Division II Softball National Championship, to be held May 13 through 16 in Clinton, Miss.
Bruins fans can follow the District Championship results in near-real-time through the following KCC social media channels:
- KCC’s Facebook page at www.facebook.com/KelloggCommunityCollege
- KCC’s Twitter feed at www.twitter.com/Kellogg_CC
Additionally, fans can visit www.kellogg.edu/softball and fill out the “Get KCC Athletics Results by Email” form to receive KCC Athletics results by email following each game.
High-resolution team and individual photos of the KCC softball team are available for download for use by fans and the media from the 2015 KCC Women’s Softball album on KCC’s Flickr page.
High-resolution images of the team in action playing during home games at Bailey Park in Battle Creek are available for download from the following online Dropboxes (please credit appropriately if used):
- KCC softball vs. Kalamazoo Valley Community College, March 20, 2015 (if used credit Sarah Huling/Kellogg Community College): www.dropbox.com/sh/g9yumhv7otbv5qh/AAAchBnAiGkAzSLFYzaSApLYa?dl=0
- KCC softball vs. Lake Michigan College, March 29, 2015 (if used credit Kellogg Community College): www.dropbox.com/sh/45qzp5lih5d78pk/AACYaAJUqAh5M1aPfNhxyWf4a?dl=0
- KCC s0ftball vs. Lansing Community College, April 4, 2015 (if used credit Kellogg Community College): www.dropbox.com/sh/did8y835mkyyyp1/AACCkLCVVLVTo33_3p19W8Q5a?dl=0
For more information about KCC softball, contact head softball coach Darrick Brown at:
- 269-806-2659 (cell)
- 269-965-4151 ext. 2555 (office)
Kellogg Community College is part of the Michigan Community College Athletic Association’s Western Conference and is a member of the National Junior College Athletic Association’s Region 12. KCC athletes are known as Bruins, the mascot’s name is Blaze and the College’s school colors are blue and silver. Sports currently offered at KCC include baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, softball and women’s volleyball. For more information about KCC’s softball team, visit www.kellogg.edu/softball.
The photo at the top of this post was taken by Shelly Smith, who admins the Brucru photos Facebook group, which has featured photos of the team in action throughout the season.
For more news about Kellogg Community College, view our latest news releases online at daily.kellogg.edu/category/news-releases.