Giving Tuesday Q&A: Fresh Food Distribution volunteer and KCC Vice President Eric Greene

Eric Greene

Kellogg Community College will celebrate Giving Tuesday Nov. 30 with a donation drive to help address student food insecurity on campus. Below is a Q&A post focused on food insecurity and food insecurity initiatives at KCC from Vice President for Strategy, Relations and Communications Eric Greene, who volunteered at the Fresh Food Distribution event in September to distribute free fresh food to students and community members in need.

What Fresh Food Distribution event did you volunteer for, and what did you do during the events?

Alongside numerous other employees and students, I helped load food into community members’ vehicles during the Sept. 28 distribution at KCC.

Why did you decide to volunteer to support food insecurity programming at KCC?

I volunteered because I believe sincerely in using my time and talents to help others with no expectation of anything in return. It’s as simple as that. That belief motivates me to volunteer in various ways in my community. I believe it takes all of us, working together, to keep the Battle Creek area thriving for everyone who chooses to call this place home. This work and volunteerism takes many forms. Sometimes, it means helping my fellow community members put food on their tables to feed themselves and their families.

What is something you learned through volunteering at KCC’s Fresh Food Distribution event?

I learned how grateful my Battle Creek neighbors are to receive some help.

What was your favorite part about volunteering at the event?

My favorite part was having the opportunity to give, which was created in part by having an employer — KCC — which encouraged me to use time during the work day to help my community. I would have happily volunteered on my personal time, but having an employer create an opportunity to do so during my work day speaks volumes about the community-centered mindset of the College.

What impact do you hope the Fresh Food Distribution events and Bruin Basket initiative can have on the greater KCC community?

I hope the College’s food distribution programming is just the start of a campus-wide and community-wide commitment to making sure everyone in the Battle Creek area has regular access to healthy food.

What is something you think people should know about food insecurity or KCC’s Food Insecurity Task Force initiatives on campus?

As a vegetarian, I would like others to know that there are lots of ways to affordably grow, provide, obtain and consume a healthy, complete diet exclusively from plants.

Anything else you’d like to say?

Please donate your time, your insight, your food and your money to the cause!

Giving Tuesday is Nov. 30. Click here for more information about Giving Tuesday at KCC or visit kellogg.edu/donate to donate today.

(Eric Greene photo by Kristen Stolz.)