Scholarship recipient Q&A: Associate in Arts student Monica Feldpausch

Monica Feldpausch

Kellogg Community College Foundation Gold Key Scholarship recipient and 2020 home school graduate Monica Feldpausch is studying toward an Associate in Arts degree at KCC with hopes to transfer to a four-year school to pursue a degree in business.

Below, Feldpausch answers some questions about her experiences as a student at KCC and specifically as a Gold Key Scholarship recipient.

What does being a Gold Key Scholar mean to you?

Being a Gold Key Scholar means so much to me. I have been able to grow not only as a scholar, but also as a leader. I have had many amazing opportunities that have led me to expand and strengthen my skill set. Through this scholarship I have met many encouraging students and advisors who are very supportive of my secondary education. I am so thankful for the privilege of being a KCC Gold Key student. 

What is your favorite thing about the Gold Key Scholarship program?

My favorite thing about the Gold Key Scholarship program has been being able to meet and work with other fellow scholarship students. Engaging with others who take their own education as seriously as I take mine has been helpful and inspiring throughout the entire process.

What is something you learned from your scholarship program leadership, enrichment or service activities?

One thing among many that I have learned from my scholarship program leadership is that leaders do not all look alike. Even if we do not naturally think of ourselves as a leader, or as someone with initiative, everyone’s role is still important and vital. I have been encouraged in my own form of leadership and I am very grateful for that.

What is one thing you learned about yourself through your development activities as a Gold Key Scholar?

Something I have learned about myself through development activities is that I am very capable of doing difficult things that do not always seem fun. You truly do not know how capable you are until you push your boundaries.

What is a special memory or experience you’ve had that wouldn’t have happened if not for the Gold Key Scholarship program?

A special memory I have from being a Gold Key Scholar was volunteering at the Bruin Scholarship Open. Being able to hang out with fellow students while also interacting with KCC supporters was truly a unique moment that I was able to experience.

What do you ultimately want to do for a career, and why did you choose that profession?

After graduating with a bachelor’s degree, I hope to be successfully employed in the business field. Perhaps someday I will even run my own business! I have chosen to pursue business because of many close interactions I have had with family businesses. I really appreciate all the personal, hard work that goes into running a small business.

KCC Foundation scholarship applications for new, returning and graduating KCC students are available now and can be completed entirely online for free. Visit kellogg.edu/kccscholarships for links to scholarship applications and more information about scholarships for KCC students.

The photo of Feldpausch above is courtesy of Jasmine McMaster.