Q&A interview with Industrial Electricity and Electronics student Zaire Gilbert

Student Zaire Gilbert holds an electrical meter tool in the College's Electricity and Electronics Lab.

Zaire Gilbert, 20, of Battle Creek, is a 2020 Lakeview High School graduate studying Industrial Electricity and Electronics at KCC with plans to graduate in 2024.

Gilbert is a 2021 KCC Foundation Board of Trustees Scholar, a co-president of the Students of Color Club and was the 2021 recipient of the Student and Community Service Division Catalyst Award, which honors a student who has sparked positive change at the College and is deeply engaged in campus activities.

Why did you decide to study Industrial Electricity and Electronics?

I decided to study Industrial Electricity and Electronics because I needed more hands-on experience, a career that would allow me to be financially secure, and there aren’t many women in the field.

Why did you decide to study specifically at KCC?

I decided to study specifically at KCC because I wasn’t ready for the university lifestyle. Also, KCC is in my hometown, so I wanted to be close to my family and use scholarships that were awarded to me from high school.

What’s your favorite part about KCC’s Industrial Electricity and Electronics Program?

My favorite part about KCC’s Industrial Electricity and Electronics Program is that it’s self-paced, because I can take my time learning new information and I don’t feel rushed when it comes to taking tests. Something else that I enjoy is the hands-on experience on the Amatrol trainers, and the faculty at the RMTC.

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned in your studies at KCC?

The most interesting thing I’ve learned in my studies at KCC would have to be electrical motor controls. Electrical motor controls are interesting because I must follow or draw a schematic diagram to be able to wire up the Amatrol trainer. Another thing that is interesting is a process called “systems level troubleshooting.” It has many systems of level troubleshooting methods to help identify and troubleshoot circuits faster.

What is your goal for after you graduate from KCC? What do you hope to do for a career?

My goal after I graduate from KCC is to join an apprenticeship for electrical to achieve the goal of getting my journeyman’s card. I hope to do residential, commercial or lineman electrical work as my career.

This article first appeared in the September 2022 edition of BruIN magazine. To read the issue online visit kellogg.edu/bruinmagazine.