PTA Q&A: PTA student and CNA Becky Thomas

PTA student Becky Thomas poses in the PTA Lab.

Kellogg Community College Physical Therapist Assistant student Becky Thomas, 35, of Montgomery, is a CNA working on her PTA degree. Below she answers some questions about why she chose the PTA Program at KCC.

Why did you choose to study PTA?

I have been a CNA for over 10 years and two of those years when staffing was good I got put in the therapy room doing what they call Restorative Aide. I kept up light exercises daily with a resident that had graduated therapy and held exercise groups as well for as many residents as I could and I just really fell in love with the therapy room and what they accomplished with their clients.

Why did you choose to study PTA specifically at KCC?

I heard that KCC had a good program with a good success rate of employment after graduation.

What’s your favorite part of the KCC PTA Program and why?

The small intimate classroom setting. My classmates really become family and we are such good support systems for each other.

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned in the PTA Program at KCC?

Just how detailed our body is and how it works. Through Anatomy I learned how awesome our body is, but with becoming a PTA you learn exactly where and how a muscle works and a joint is supposed to work properly and if injured how we can help get it back to full function.

What is your goal after you graduate from KCC? What do you hope to do for a career?

My heart has always been in Nursing Home and Rehabilitation facilities, so I probably will stay there, but once I start full-time clinicals and get different experiences with different places I am open to new opportunities if something sparks my interest elsewhere.

What advice do you have for current or future KCC PTA students?

Be prepared for ups and downs. It is a lot of information and takes a lot of time and patience and willingness to be disciplined in your studies. Be patient with yourself and be willing to learn new ways of studying.

Anything else you’d like to say?

PTA is an awesome, and I think, underestimated field. I don’t think the community knows how important we are and what we can accomplish. My favorite thing about my career will be seeing someone come in at their lowest moment either after an injury or surgery and watch them get back to their normal full function and see them improve.

Physical Therapist Assistant Program applications are due April 4! See details at kellogg.edu/pta-admissions.