Alumni Q&A with Nursing graduate Lydia Carpita

Lydia Carpita

Lydia Carpita, 22, of Battle Creek, is a 2019 graduate of Lakeview High School and a 2023 recipient of the KCC Foundation’s prestigious Virginia M. Hensley Education or Health Care Two-Year Transfer Scholarship. She graduated from KCC in May with an Associate of Applied Science in Nursing degree.

Carpita, a Legacy Scholar, was also a member of KCC’s Student Nursing Association and KCC’s Alpha Nu Eta chapter of the Phi Theta Kappa international honor society.

Why did you choose your major/area of study?

I chose to pursue nursing as a career because of the ample clinical experiences and opportunity for career advancement. Many women in my family are medical professionals, and I have a tremendous amount of respect for them. Their unconditional devotion to helping others has encouraged me to do the same.

Why did you choose to study your major specifically at KCC?

I started my nursing education at KCC because of the many academic and community resources offered here. The small community environment allows for great connections and relationship development. The Nursing Program at KCC is an excellent option to start your career and well prepares you to start within the health care field.

What’s been your favorite part of your time at KCC, and why?

My favorite part of my time here at KCC was building relationships with my fellow Nursing classmates. I have created relationships during the Nursing Program that will last a lifetime.

What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned at KCC?

The most interesting thing I learned while at KCC was through my clinical experiences. I have developed confidence within my clinical skills as well as interacting within the health care interdisciplinary team. I have also flourished my professional development within my educational and career focus.

What is your goal for after you graduate from KCC? What do you hope to do for a career?

After I graduate from KCC with my ADN, I will be transferring to Western Michigan University in their RN-BSN program. I will be pursuing my nursing career within Maternal and Newborn Health after graduation while obtaining my BSN degree from WMU. My future educational goal is to continue my education by earning my master’s degree and becoming a Women’s Health Nurse Practitioner.

What advice do you have for current or future KCC students?

My advice for future/current KCC students would be to take advantage of the many resources offered on campus. Make connections with faculty and other members of the community and make the most out of your experience. Starting your education at KCC is a great stepping stone to the rest of your career path.

Anything else you’d like to say?

Go Bruins!

This article first appeared in the June 2023 edition of BruIN magazine. To read the issue online, please visit kellogg.edu/bruinmagazine.