Kellogg Community College students interested in marketing or business management have the opportunity to start their education with a new class focused on retail management this winter and spring.
KCC’s new in-person BUAD 275: Principles of Retail Management class is worth three credits and will run from 2:30 to 4 p.m. Mondays and Wednesdays from Feb. 13 through April 26, on campus at 450 North Ave. in Battle Creek. There are two additional sections available off campus specifically designed for iACT students.
The course is the cornerstone of the College’s brand-new Retail Management Certificate Program, which consists of eight courses totaling 26 credit hours that can be completed in as little as two semesters.
The official BUAD 275 course description from KCC’s Academic Catalog describes the class as, “An introductory course analyzing retail management in the areas of managing supply chains, legal and ethical behaviors, marketing selection and retail location analysis, financial reporting, merchandising and pricing, advertising and promotion, customer service and retail selling and store layout and design.”
An emphasis is placed on managing the daily operations of the retail industry, utilizing case studies and current events related to best business practices.
The required text for the class is “Retailing Management,” by Levy, Weitz and Grewal.
According to the official learning outcomes for the course, students who complete BUAD 275: Principles of Retail Management will be able to:
- Describe the flow of goods and services in a retail environment (e.g., inventory control, supply chain and risk management).
- Evaluate the impact of laws and regulations pertaining to the role and responsibilities of a retail manager.
- Analyze how logistics and supply chain management achieve a sustainable competitive advantage.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of merchandising decisions in the retail industry.
- Describe how technology (e.g., customer databases, integrated systems and buying and sales forecasting systems) is used to support retail businesses.
For more information about BUAD 275: Principles of Retail Management, contact professor Kim Madsen at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about signing up for winter/spring classes, the first of which begin Jan. 17, visit kellogg.edu/registration.